1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CAD Software Options

Discussion in 'General' started by Critter, May 14, 2018.

1. Critter

Critter Registered

Hello,
    Are there any good CAD guys on here. If so what software are you using?

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Architectural or engineering?

3. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

Revit for architecture .

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

SolidWorks...

Afaik, AutoCad has a free Student version...

5. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Solidworks is great. Fusion 360 is good and free in most cases. What are you wanting to use it for?

6. Critter

Critter Registered

Designing motorcycle and ATV and SXS parts really simple stuff nothing complicated

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If you want solid works...join the EAA (experimental aviation assoc.) You can get free solidworks program as a member.

baconologist and Phl218 like this.
  8. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Fusion 360 is a really good option. Solidworks is awesome, but total overkill unless you can get it free like mentioned above. I think f360 also has free 2.5d cam integrated into it. SW also can, depending on your licenses. If you get a free version, though, I'm sure their cam package won't be included.

9. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Any recommendations for architecture CAD programs? I have Apple..

10. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Revit is THE architectural software. For manufacturing, gotta be Inventor or if you must, Solidworks.

On the cheap...sketchup.

If you’re doing it serious, get something you can put intelligence into then load into CAM software for the CNC and check tool paths.

11. Critter

Critter Registered

We are making things like bumpers and roll cages and crash cages and some tools. Then we are going to CNC from there there. So we are not making anything really difficult. We are not large volume enough to worry about supply chain and fastener stuff

12. HotbodiesRacing

HotbodiesRacing Well-Known Member

Onshape is a good option, and $20k less than solidworks...

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

A regular SW license can be had for 5k

14. Pitmom42

Pitmom42 Active Member

If you need to learn a software than use the free 20 to 30 days and see if you can use it or not. If you already know how to draw on the computer then what you are willing to pay for is what you will get.
    The more tools you want the more you will spend and the quicker you can get your drawings done if time is a factor.

15. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Using Fusion 360 for CAD/CAM, you can get a free version for hobbyist use
    Currently doing toolpaths on this part
    S1000rr key holder v8.jpg

Pitmom42 likes this.
  16. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Freecad is actually free and really powerful. It isn’t perfect but neither are the paid packages. I’ve done some moderately complicated design work in there and have been happy with it. I’ve worked as a design engineer with a few full cad programs, and because of that I can’t wrap my head around sketchup. It seems to be more tailored to someone wanting to draw than design.

17. Fusion 360.

18. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

No viable for home use, but I am a Creo fan. We have several different softwares at work, but whenever I have a chance to pick which to use, Creo is my go to.

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My dad (a Purdue grad) did some of the most beautiful drawings you could imagine. I had to go into GE's drawing archives when I was a contractor for them and I found some of his drafting that he produced in the 60's...magnificent. CAD may be all the shit, but it will never match the beauty of hand drafting.

[​IMG]image hosting services

5axis likes this.
  20. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Lost art for sure, until your client requests a change.
    I vowed AutoCad would be all I'd ever need and I'd retire without buying another program. However, I'm typing this in a classroom where in 5 minutes, I'm going to be learning Revit.

K

rafa likes this.