1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ca repair gone awry

Discussion in 'General' started by gixer1100, Apr 24, 2019.

1. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

before jumping to conclusions, HEAVILY SEARCH THE ENTIRE CAR. tear apart the trunk, look under seats especially, where you found the hook itself. look in the dash cubby's, glove box, consoles, door trim panel pockets, etc... i am here to tell you 30+ years in the auto repair, collision repair industry, NO SHOP WILLINGLY WOULD STEAL A TOW HOOK COVER. it either was placed somewhere else by you or the shop, IN ERROR. or, it may have been installed where it was to go, and fell out. after all, it is an aftermarket part, some things dont always go back together and stay in place.

good luck in your quest.

i am guessing a shop worker or tow driver removed the tow hook after "shinning" themselves on it, and put that on the floor. unless the battery is in the trunk, to do your repairs you described, they didnt ever get in your trunk. it may be as simple as it wedged itself under the carpet or trunk mat for the spare tire area after towing, or test driving especially, if it was laying upside down on the painted area of the cap. it would slide around like a skate on ice. again, good luck! Ski

2. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

I searched the car and had them search it as well...I don't think hey stole it, I think it was lost by mistake by them, they are responsible to the car while in their possession. yeah the battery is in the trunk, so they were in there. they disconnected the carpet and pulled it out ( at first he said they didn't, until I showed him ow the carpet was no longer on the pins that hold it). it was def in the trunk when they got the car, and def not when they returned it. what happened in the time in between happened while they had it. either way he isn't going to do a thing about it, told me to take him to court. I don't like jail so I cant do what I feel like doing lol. doing the right thing is lost on some people. I wouldn't be arguing over it if I wasn't 100% sure it was in the car (I put it there 10min before they got the car). now its on me to do what I can to fix this, he will be of no help.

3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I take it you spoke to the owner or manager? Cameras at the shop?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So it's either under something where they took the carpet out to get at the battery or it got swept up and pitched from that same area.

5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Refer to post #9.

6. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Probably got put back on and fell off or is list in the trunk. Nobody would want the plastic cover.
    Go to Krispy Kreme, buy three dozen glazed donuts, take them to the shop that did the repairs as a goodwill gesture for them taking the time to work on a ragged assed Audi. Tell them how great a job they did, apoligize for them having to source spline drive bullshit tools and after you have kissed their ass long enough KINDLY ask them if they have any recolection of the tow hook Cover being in the trunk.
    If that fails, spend the $97 and buy another cover.

pscook likes this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

Not true. They used to steal the cover all the time in NYC, a few years ago. The major problem is that the dealer only sells the stupid thing in primer, so then you have to go get a 2x2" piece painted to match the car. Like WTF.

8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

In 15 years I've never touched one of those pull eyes and this is one of the reasons, along with them being non centered in most cars whilst 99% of tow trucks have centered winches, makes for a high veer angle. A good operator should figure out how to do it correctly.

9. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Sucks. Split the $550 with the shop.

10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

How much is this item? Can someone please provide a picture of what has been allegedly stolen?

I’m asking for a friend.

11. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

At most, it should cost about $25 to paint a new cover yourself. Get a 1/2 oz bottle of touch-up paint, either Dupli-Color if they make it, or from the dealer. Open it, put the paint in an airbrush and spray the new part. You might want to primer it first.