1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying new bike out of state / Taxes

Discussion in 'General' started by cpettit, Jan 9, 2021.

1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

A few years ago I bought a brand new bike out of state and did not pay sales tax at the dealer so it was up to me to pay the tax at the dmv in Ohio when I wanted to go get my title and plates. Is it different in each state or will some states not allow that? Last one I bought was in MI but now I'm looking at bikes in IN and WV. Anyone know what the law on this is? State by state case?

Basically I want to pay cash for a new bike but not pay the tax till I go for the title.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

If you're not buying in your home (domicile) State... you don't have to pay another States sales tax. However some States have reciprocal agreements.
    Only downside here is if you lose the original bill of sale & MSO. Which is not that big of a deal as it can still be titled via bond.

cpettit likes this.
  3. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Most states you pay at time of titling if buying out of state.

Some states like MO you can sell and buy within 6 months of each other and get full tax credit for the sell just like a trade-in.

4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If I sell to someone out of state I am required to collect their states tax up to Florida tax

5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Days of buying out of state to avoid tax are going away

6. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Really? And you mail the state an envelope full of cash?

7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Speaking as a licensed dealer, not a tax evading pos

8. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Oh. You should've led with "I'm a dealer".

9. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

In PA you pay the sales tax when you register a vehicle that was bought out of state. Border states will sometimes be able to do the PA registration and tax collection just like an in-state dealer would.

10. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Sounds like it may vary by state. I’ll have to narrow it down and start calling a few to see what I can do. Thanks for the tips.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

where did you read in his post that he didnt want to pay any taxes??

12. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Easy, take cash, don’t pay their state taxes. As was said earlier most all states do not reciprocate these days. I bought my T7 in SC they tried the tax scam I was ready with my state and their internet site stating so. Most dealership employees do not know much of anything to do with their job requirement.

I paid them the cost of the bike with their inflated BS fees on a hard to get bike. Drove home with proper paperwork and went to local county tax collector office in MS and had a tag and my taxes paid in like 10 minutes.

TurboBlew likes this.
  13. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Nah you're a fucking pos.....

14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

That means alot coming from a non bet paying pos.

ClemsonsR6 likes this.