1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a Used Vehicle: Are some model types too risky?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Mar 7, 2020.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

i bought one of those unicorns a few months ago... so far Im $2300 into getting it where I want it. 06 model with 104,000 and a clean title... the 1 1/2 hitch limitation sucks but no other complaints so far. The 6 speed swap componens cost as much as a low mileage liter bike...

2. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

R32

Blackbeener likes this.
  3. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

First generation a Tundra. Lots of clean older rigs out there.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I can't believe you typed Toyota and VW in the same sentence:D

My son just bought a 2010 4Runner and I'll have to say it is quite a fine machine. Yeah, he paid more than any other similar year SUV but the thing seems damn near as nice as the day it rolled out of the factory.

cha0s#242 and sharkattack like this.
  5. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

My youngest has a 2007 Civic Si, 258K, we turbo`d it and now have 475@ the wheels. Been beating it for a year, still going strong! All stock motor.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

My Civic EXL Hatchback with the 1.5 turbo has 3oo less hp but it is a lot of fun to drive on the
    twisty back roads around here where all that hp would be counterproductive anyway.
    And it's comfortable for a large man to drive. It's the first car I've owned in ages that
    I take out for a drive just for the fun of driving it and it gets 30 mpg at the worst.
    A daily driver that's fun and economical and it has a huge cargo area for its size.

cav115, Boman Forklift and Bloodhound like this.
  7. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Is that the same car you won from a raffle?

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It is, I was afraid it would be too small for me (6'6', 300#) but it fits like a glove.

9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I don't recall you mentioning it being a turbo.

[​IMG]

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That’s pretty cool. I didn’t know you could reliably make that much power out of a civic. How bad is the torque steer?

cav115 likes this.
  11. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

I'm on my 2nd 4Runner, (1999 with 220K, 5-speed) Had it for 12 years now and still going strong. Easily the best vehicle I've ever owned, built like a tank. I bought a newer V-6 Accord a couple years ago and sold it, I like my 4Runner better. I'll most likely will never sell it. Gas mileage is only 16/20 though if you drive very far.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Ditto on the Tacoma. Ive had many cars over the years and I am impressed. Was looking for something that handles with good power, economical, that would haul a bike and some gear, also to get away from a money pit and gas eater E350. It's a blast, fast and handles. 4.0 V6 6 spd manual Toyota X-Runner.

Attached Files:

13. Ok now that’s damn impressive on a few fronts. Side note: a wing that’s at least 1’ taller than the roofline and 1’ wider per side of the car, preferably cheap elastic wrapped in faux carbon easily will make 550 :)

cav115 likes this.
  14. Wife bought one new on 01. She’s been through 3 other cars since it was about 5 years old, we still have it and it has 278k on it. Knock on wood ZERO mechanical issues. No ticks, smoke, doesn’t burn a drop of oil, oil is always antifreeze free, trans fluid never burned up and everything. Works minus the light on radio. I call it my Home Depot car but it’s also my airport car. Bringing just the minimal tools I’d take on any long drive I’d jump in it today and drive across country. And I’m a guy who doesn’t drive vehicles past about 60k miles.

USracer900 likes this.
  15. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Damn...at 60 k I've just figured out what all the buttons do.

17. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

You def have to hold on to it. The K blocks are good to 600- 700 horse, stock bottom. Stout.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

LOL....I can hear the test drive now. I'm jumping in for my first drive and you are my salesman.
    1. Cav...So Rob, you look like an old guy, how is your health?
    2. Me..... pretty good actually for an old guy....LOL
    3. Cav, So Rob any shoulder injuries?
    4. Me.....Well, I've crashed a few motorcycles and bikes over the years, why?
    5. Cav.....Well just hang on when you punch it
    6. Me.......Ok, I did break my collarbone twice and dislocate my shoulder a couple times and my ball and socket is messed up enough it hurts when I throw a baseball
    7. Cav......Alright then...just take it easy....this bad boy is putting down 700HP to the wheels.
    8. Me....Oh my god, oh my god....I think it broke my wrist....you didn't ask me about that, it had two pins in it and hurts when I do pushups. LOLOLOL
    9. Jeez, I didn't expect it to change lanes when I floored it.

cav115 likes this.
  19. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Yep. I've pretty much determined that the 4Runner is the one to get. I'd love to get another Tacoma, but I really don't need the bed, and would actually probably miss the covered storage that the 4Runner offers. They aren't cheap, used or CPO. But they have a great track record, so buying that way doesn't scare me off.

20. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

Sounds like fun!!

As is, when you are on the gas at 70 or so, in 4th, it breaks the Pirelli race slicks loose.....