1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a Used Vehicle: Are some model types too risky?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Mar 7, 2020.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I’m in the market for a “new to me” vehicle and have some questions. Are certain types inherently more risky to buy pre-owned? See below:

Hot Hatch (Civic SI & Type R, Veloster Type N).
    Is the risk that these were run hard and put up wet? Idiots not knowing how to drive a manual burning up the clutch? What about “non-hot” hatches, like a Mazda 3, regular Civic, etc,?

Midsize Pickup (Tacoma).
    Is the risk that they’ve been loaded down way past their limits? Used for snowplow duty? Towed weights well above their rating?

SUV (4Runner, CX5)
    These seem pretty safe. They’re most likely been driven by soccer moms to the mall and schools.

Most of these vehicles are pretty pricey when new, so I wouldn’t think people would abuse them, but once they’re a few years old and the shine wears off, maybe owners don’t take proper care of them.

Thanks for all of your help and insights.

2. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

While I might be hesitant on some high mileage luxury autos, I wouldn’t personally have reservations at what you’re looking at. A careful inspection can usually detect if they were beat on.

3. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Avoid anything with a CVT. It’s a $6-10k repair bill unless you do a junkyard special.

Scott S. likes this.
  4. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

What? No Audis or BMW's ??? ;):D:D:crackup:.

Tj Hunter, cha0s#242 and sharkattack like this.
  5. sharkattack

Not unless my brother in law decided to sell me one for a song, like he did with the A6!

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Except for the CX-5, two doors only.
    All of them with manual transmissions.

Do you have any priorities - utility, fun, fuel mileage, commuting, comfort, whatever?

The latest gen CX-5 has a turbo...hits all the buttons, but the older non-turbo Mazdas are still sweet drivers. Mazda, the most under-rated MFG on the planet, best car Ford ever built and, now, partnered with Toyota.

Tacoma's resale is ridiculously high, might as well buy new...access cab, manual, 4x4. Hundreds of thousands of miles reported by their devoted owners. Maybe a much older one won't have the Tacoma tax.

Honda vs Veloster...hmmm. Don't know enough about either, but I do like CRXs and Preludes. There's no questioning Honda's dependability.

7. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Yes, some are like going all in on a pair of 3’s.
    I suggest looking on Car-part for engines and transmissions for whatever you are buying. That gives a good idea of why it will cost to fix it when it takes a crap.

418 likes this.
  8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Of all the stuff you mentioned the 3xx HP type R civic would be my choice.

Tj Hunter and Senna like this.
  9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

For the one that will cost the most to keep on the road? All depends on the priorities. It would be the most fun too.

10. Boman Forklift

I’m the wrong guy to ask then. It sounded like a fun car was a choice.

I daily drive a Honda Civic with 198k miles right now. I have a fun car, old E39 M5, and am looking to pickup a different fun sports car, so of those options I picked the most fun one.

I got a ride in a Lotus 7 clone with a LS2 or LS3 in it with 435HP. Inly 2000 miles in the build but it rode way too rough and looked a little to ugly for me to consider it as my next fun car.

cav115 likes this.
  11. sharkattack

This will be my daily commuter, so I want to enjoy driving it. I also do some woodworking as a hobby. The hatches might work, but the 4Runner would fit the bill better.
    While I’d love to have a fun car, I do have my bike for fun rides. The utility/practical side says a 4Runner would be the ‘mature’ choice. But I’m still wondering if a hot hatch would cut it.
    As much as I like the Tacoma, I’d not use it as a truck too often; nearly everything I would do with the Tacoma, I could do with the 4Runner.
    Thx for all of the input; def gave me something to think about.

K51000 likes this.
  12. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

You've got a pretty wide range there...

First, depending.on the Tacoma model (I prefer the 4.slow V6) they are pretty damn bulletproof after the '05 head gasket deal. Take a look at the coil pack and make sure the TSB has been done.

I've been eyeballing those Velosters as well over the Civics for a 2nd/play vehicle. I am planning to do some test drive here in the future and check them out. As far a reliability between the Honda and Hyundai I am not certain... Consumer Reports I believe liked them both.

13. Boman Forklift

How much are you spending on this and how old are you going? I was surprised old Tacoma still bring a few grand but old 4runners do not.

90-00 Tacoma’s are 2500-4K
    90-00 4runners we’re under 1k.

I was looking for a parts truck to use here at work, with a little 4 cyl for decent gas mileage.

14. 418

418 Expert #59

Yup. Been there, done that.

Anybody wanna guess a used engine price for a X5M? :D

15. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

WRX (STI) hatchback. I bet the cargo capacity with the seats folded down comes relatively close to the 4Runner. I don't think the STI is tow rated but the WRX will pull ~2,500lbs without much drama. A Forester XT Turbo is more or less a WRX undercover.

K51000 likes this.
  16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Any used WRX or STI lives a HARD life. The flat brim-wearing, Monster Energy-chugging, Best Buy-working Kyles of the world have had their way with every single used one I’ve ever looked at.

17. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

There are clean ones out there. They aren't common and they will carry a premium but they're out there. But Subie's can also take a good bit of abuse. If it was stock I wouldn't hesitate if it passes a 3rd party pre-purchase inspection.

Senna likes this.
  18. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Take my Taco off my hands. It’s time for me to retire.

19. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

I'm pulling my mildly tuned Saabaru engine over the next few days. About 300/300 at the wheels. 185k miles. (2nd) clutch is gone. Due for timing belt kit again. and a few other items. Not bothering with head gaskets, as they are MLS and my block check came back negative. If she pops later, I'll just build something, but for now not really wanting to put any money into it.

20. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

For comfort, towing capacity, and resale value I'd go with the 4runner, or maybe a VW Touareg.