1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a 2008 Ducati 1098R...need some schooling

Discussion in 'General' started by Potts N Pans, May 10, 2016.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Unless your last name is Carr or Starnes..

renegade17 and 03RumbleBee like this.
  2. Don't get me wrong, they are good bikes, just very uncomfortable and awkward. I got along well with it; the first time I rode it was at Jennings and ran a high :19 in the first day on it. But back then I still had all the hardware in my left wrist and it was in bad sgape by the end of the day. My fingers stayed numb for 2 days.

But it was SS legal and I can't describe the amount of effort it took to hustle it around the back section. It even took more effort than the RSV4.

They aren't bad bikes, but I would pay for a Panigale before i would race a free 1098. The Panigale is miles better in every aspect, even the 1199.

3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

If you're going to mostly be street riding with a few trackdays, get the newer model. Even for full on racing I would go with the 1199 or 1299. Easier to be competitive and the 1098R is larger displacement so it goes in the same classes anyway. To make the R competitive in racing, you're going to need a lot of parts. Triples and suspension linkage come to mind immediately, so you're looking at $1800-$2000 right away. Plus getting the suspension set up, etc..

I love my 848, but I have to work a lot harder to go faster on it than a traditional middleweight. Now that parts have gotten so cheap, it's much easier to race, complete motors are $1400.

4. The 1098 is legal in B-SB as long as it is in SS trim. So it would be good there. But outside of that it will have its hands full.

It is down 40hp to modern Liter bikes and is about 30lbs heavier than the Panigale.

5. Chip

Chip Registered

I wouldn't buy the 1098R. Too expensive for no practical advantage. That being said, I like my 1098 thingy. Its fun and it makes cool noises.

6. Did the 1098R have the 1198 motor in it?

I thought there was one version of that bike listed as an R where the displacement was different than the base and S models.

7. Chip

Chip Registered

Yep...but with Ti rods, big cams, and few other bits..

8. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I am in The Netherlands...that is why i was also curious about the euro spec/title stuff for the states

9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I just bought a streetfighter. I hope the 1098 is a reliable motor because I intend to unapologetically beat the piss out of it...

10. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

The Multistrada has the same motor and I've been very pleased. I think you'll like it

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

Great motor for the hooligan in you.
    Just not so good off road

[buddy of mine at the Fontana river] on 28 back from the dragon

Attached Files:

12. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Damn....just damn

13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

:crackup:If you have a single hair on your ass, you text him that pic at least six times a year. Bonus points if he rode it out...

14. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Did they start putting different bearings into the bottom end? (Robby-Bobby or Carr should know)
    It was a known failure with the 1098 motors. That bearing on mine went. Sent debris everywhere in the motor. Looked like a grenade went off inside of it.

Ride safe,
    AAron

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I don't know. but I appreciate the tip. I'll look into it.

I know nothing about this bike except that I rode a friend's last week and decided I needed my own by about third gear.

16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I don't know where you're located, but there was a racer at Grattan two weeks ago that was selling his 07 street 1098 (pretty sure that's the year) for 10 grand. I don't know if it was the R or S but it had the full Ohlins package and fairly low miles.

Solid black...it looked beautiful!

17. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I've owned and raced an 848, 1198S, and now a 1199R. The 1198 is a solid bike and fun to ride with it's tractor motor, but if you're serious about any kind of real lap times the Panigale is on another level.

I will be listing the 1199R for sale shortly. :D

18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I don't know what years were affected, but this is true, the ones with the larger balls are a problem. The ball chips and eventually the bearing fails and will crack the cases.

I thought the 1098R bearings were the good ones, I just know we order the "good" bearings for the 848 rebuilds. I was under the impression that the 1098R bearings were the ones we ordered. I can find out if it's important.

19. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

What's next?

20. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Keeping up with the Broome's maybe?

Gorilla George likes this.