1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bush's report card

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by 50Joe, Oct 10, 2003.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Common reasoning: "it doesn't matter who dies so long as we achieve our goal."

I suspect somebody with access to an F-16 would use it rather than strap a bomb around his waist. But I admit I am just making an assumption. I suppose that makes me pro-terrorism, right? :)

I like "clown." It really drives your point across. :)

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

not necessarily him. It could've been someone else's idea.:)

I don't understand your point about "people are disappearing..." are you saying they got Osama bin Laden but are keeping secret?

3. mad brad

mad brad Guest

osama will be apprehended. but his ilk who are not as savvy are missing now. i suspect you knew what i was speaking of. oh well, someone else can entertain papa now. he bores me.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

my brilliant mind didn't have a clue. You gave me too much credit

:D thanks for playing.:D

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I have to point out what I think is a flaw in reasoning here. Because nothing or the wrong thing was done in any past situation (and I don't confine this to Iraq) does not mean that anything done in the future is suspect or illegtimate.
    Speaking to the Iraq issue, many mistakes or ill-considered actions have been taken in our dealings there, including supporting Saddam at one time. Those past mistakes don't discredit current actions. Past administrations have acted as they saw fit in their consideration of what was workable or in the best interests of the US at the time. Times change as do circumstance and opinion.
    When playing chess, one doesn't lock one's self into continuing on with a strategy that is not working. In this case, the players in the chess game change as the game progresses, each player in turn may have to deal with the consequences of the previous players' moves, but does not need to agree with them or continue the previously employed strategy.
    People like to refer to the US as though it is a single entity with one ongoing goal. It is not, administrations change, people change, strategies and objectives change. Nothing is static in this world, why should US foreign policy be?

I believe the terrorist groups would like nothing better than that the US confine itself to ferreting out Bin Laden. They would certainly have more leeway to pursue their goals. There is no shortage of political entities worldwide exhorting the US to "play by the rules". Unfortunately, the terrorists who would perpetrate further acts against us draw their power from their refusal to accept those same rules. It would seem to make more sense to fight the enemy on his own turf. I expect my government to protect the national interest using the methods that work, not to be fair and play nice and lose as a result.

I am puzzled by two statements I hear regularly.

1. Bush started the war to increase his popularity politically.
    2. Bush is despised worldwide because he invaded Iraq.

Evidently Bush is furthering his political career by making himself the object of hatred worldwide. I don't see the logic here.

6. t316

t316 Well-Known Member

Papa,

I may be wrong, but I think osama is still on the run for tactical reasons. Just like other investigations, if we have him under surveillance he may expose more of his organization. Probably wrong, but certainly a possibility.

As far as reassuring other countries as to the existence of WMD, I don't know, but as someone else pointed out on this BB, there may be political reasons behind that.

Like I said, I'm probably wrong, I often am.

:confused:

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I am with you on this. It's the coincidence of the timing that has me asking questions.

I tend to believe number one, but it's a personal opinion. Number two may or may not be true. If it is, it was the unintended consequence of number one. Which is why the conclusion is indeed not logical.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't know. With what he has done, I would think they would not take such a chance. It's very risky politically, and at the end of the day, politicians want to maximize the chance of reelection. Personal opinion.

9. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

It was two pages or more ago I explained Token Bigot to you… please I am not interested in debating the personal side of this, it seems every time your requested to support a statement or position that is relevant to the direct subject of debate you become personal….

Mad Brads point was clearly about “supposed innocents” that might be killed in war, your reply equated these to what happened in New York.

Please explain the equation of these two very different issues. Don’t worry about how much I have “embarrassed myself” I am not embarrassed or the superfluous barbs we have exchanged, don’t dance away from this…….

10. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

If 'breaking an egg to make an omelet' refers to the killing of innocents, obviously the 9/11 terrorists also beleived that was worth it.

11. mad brad

mad brad Guest

was worth what robert? they ultimately did NOTHING ti this country. unless you count how strong civically we became afterwards.

you dumbasses are a trip. :rolleyes:

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

They didn't make an omelet. They woke a sleeping giant. We underestimated them and they returned the favor. They should have paid more attention in history class.

13. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

Reread my post. I said the terrorists themselves obviously thought it was worth it. :rolleyes:

14. mad brad

mad brad Guest

and you, (like papa) have really no basis to discuss. (being foreigners hanging on to the dream and all)

15. WeaselBob

WeaselBob Well-Known Member

Oh how very cavalier. Would you be that willing to scramble people if they were YOUR eggs (e.g. mother, wife, GF, father, child, pets, self)?
    I wonder many politicians would willingly send their own kids to the front lines?

16. WeaselBob

why not? got a valid reason? when a country's actions affect the world, shouldn't world citizens be allowed to speak out?

that's the logic that's being spouted to justify things as of late irag, ya know? for world peace and all :D

17. mad brad

mad brad Guest

blah blah blah. keep living in fantasy land. thank god people with a clue run the country. why don't you and the rest of the clowns go sing kumbaya.

18. WeaselBob

in other words, you can't answer those two questions and maintain your positon as Uber Hawk?

19. WeaselBob

though I don't agree with their position right now, I feel our leaders HAVE some minor clue, which is why THEY are runing the country and YOU aren't :Poke:

20. t316

t316 Well-Known Member

yamabob, where do you live, and are you a native of that country? Just asking to get a handle on your perspective. Thanks.