1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bummer: A380 project terminated

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

300,000,000GBP = $381,000,000

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's the main problem. They shouldn't be on the ground.

Gino230 likes this.
  3. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Does anyone know anyone who takes their vacation in Dubai?

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Instagram models?

Well, technically that could be construed as "work"...maybe.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I do.

6. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

The company I work for does work at DXB, I never got the impression the field guys and systems engineers had any interest in staying there any longer than they had to or it being some place they'd bring their spouses along to.

7. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Damn! I came up with 384,000,000 and just couldn’t fathom that dollar amount for this or any other plane or groups of planes.

You can return to your normally scheduled programming . . .

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  8. speedluvn

Curious, reason for the question?

I’ve been to Dubai and stayed 3 days. It was a school based trip. I began to understand the limitations of the location and my idea of what a vacation could, or would like to, turn into ;) (Dungeon free response)

9. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

It depends what exchange rate you're using, since Brexit the pound has tanked against the dollar.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It's stupid expensive. You can get a beer or booze there but you'd better have at least a gold card inorder to afford it.

11. speedluvn

Forget the exchange rate! I’m not referring to the missing 3 Mill. I’m referring to the entire 300 Million dollars for the plane. Just Damn!

12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Emirates

13. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

I worked in Saudi for a bit doing C-130 overhauls for the RSAF. They had some ridiculous “royal” aircraft with basically cargo containers installed in the fuselage with gold-plated bling luxury crap everywhere. They had a medical version that they theoretically could do open-heart surgery in. It followed the royal family around and had these weird stabilizers installed on the wingtips and tails. TONS of money sunk in em.

14. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Seems to be a hard sell for someone from a western culture compared to other tourist areas competing for the same dollar (or whatever currency).

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I agree

It was interesting to see Dubai just to say I saw it, go up to the top of the Burj etc etc. But yeah, beyond that it wouldn't be at the top of my list of places to visit for tourist purposes I'd say. So i'm glad I was there for business purposes and not on my own dime (even though its wasn't SUPER expensive as some might think).

It's a very "light/Westerinzed" version of the Middle East.

16. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

It says it holds 68,188 gallons of fuel. Average cost of Jet A is around $5 per gallon in the US... do the math on that.
    As with most aircraft the purchase price is the cheap part, operating them is the expensive part.

17. speedluvn

My concerns were my not being sure of MY entertainment wants and what was and was not allowed in a Muslim country.
    So if I did find a “red light district” what did the culture think of me participating in this “”inappropriate” culture. I said that it was better safe than sorry and opted against enjoying myself.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, yeah, I get that. They work there. I'm sure Disney employees go elsewhere for vacation too. :D But I know several people, including my brother, who love taking a few days to go to Dubai.

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

From what I saw, you basically just had to not be acting like an ass out in "public" so to speak. In nightclubs, within the confines of the resort you might be staying it (I was at the Grand Hyatt) you can pretty much do whatever you please.

If you're walking around drunk on public streets, yes you can be arrested for it. But Dubai knows where the majority of their income comes from, so they don't necessarily want to spoil that revenue stream. There's no shortage of both nightclubs and pool/day clubs there where the booze flows quite freely.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think I'd rather get in trouble in Dubai than in Singapore. But really, how about not getting into trouble in either place and just behaving decently for a few days?

Prospect and The Great One like this.