1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bummer: A380 project terminated

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Feb 14, 2019.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I flew on one of these beasts for the first time last month and was quite impressed, it's sheer size is incredible and a welcome change from the typical sardine can narrow body jets. I was always a big 747 fan and to now hear this (even thought I knew it was imminent) kind of stinks. It's crazy landing at DXB airport and its littered with A380's all over the place.

https://www.thenational.ae/business...1-as-emirates-orders-70-smaller-jets-1.825595

[​IMG]

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

From what I was reading there’s no market for them. They’re just too big. Or am I wrong? But I did find this interesting. I’d love to know the inside info?

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yeah, they don't make sense from a cost per seat perspective.....not by a long shot. And with point-to-point routes now making alot more sense than the previous hub-and-spoke model it was only a matter of time. That's why Boeing went with the 787 and 777x rather than continuing to advance the 747.

BigBird likes this.
  4. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

So A380 is out, frieghter 747 is still in. F yeah, Murica!

Wingnut likes this.
  5. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

They are everywhere in Asia. I’m surprised they are stopping production.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

7. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

The 747 is such a beautiful airplane, particularly the classics (and the SP in its cartoonish muscle-bound way). The 380 looks like a tick ready to pop.

Airbus is losing it’s shirt on the 380. There was an article (in aviation Week I think?) that talked about the order book/required deliveries before Airbus recouped the development costs. I remember the number being north of 1k. It’s a white elephant, put it down..

JBall likes this.
  8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I watched a few documentaries on it through the years and it sounded like an overly ambitious project spearheaded by a very pig headed guy in charge, maybe too much ego behind it.

9. speedluvn

If I remember correctly from the article is there still plans to make a 380 freighter?

10. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

is it better if it takes antonov roles?
    .. nvm

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  11. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

There originally was, but it was scrapped.

speedluvn likes this.
  13. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

The twin engine wide body is where it’s at for long-haul flights. Less fuel, half the engines to maintain, cheaper landing fees, no specialized gates, lots’a reasons.

The ‘380 was a prestige program from inception. I’m still waiting for some Saudi prince to have one painted all gold ...

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I don't think its painted in gold on the outside, but....

https://www.ausbt.com.au/photos-inside-the-private-airbus-a380-flying-palace

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-jet-Turkish-bath-boardroom-concert-hall.html

[​IMG]

GRH likes this.
  15. First class (not business) on an Emerates 380
    Is quite the experience. Shower on a commercial plane sure is nice.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The 747 is outdated as hell. Like flying in your grand parents living room.

A few years ago they flew a plane into dulles to take to the air and space museum. They packed it in on of those giant russian planes. Holy shitola, that thing flew over my house and it was huge!
    I don't think I flew in an A380, I'm way too cheap. :D

17. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

How dare you. She is a classy lady that knows how to move. You must be more into the coked up Lindsey Lohan Airbus..

18. speedluvn

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The newest one, or are you talking about an older model. It doesn't have a huge amount of updates but the latest gen 747-8I was first delivered about 10 years ago brought some new updates that came from the 787 like the raked wingtips and sawtooth engine nacelles on the new GE next gen engines and update fly by wire in the cockpit as well as a few other goodies.

A lot depends on the airline, the route and the time of booking. I flew economy on Emirates direct to Dubai from JFK. The ticket was the same price (not crazy expensive) as any United parter flight that only got there with stop(s).

20. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I think Airbus was misled as to the market for this plane. Boeing is often portrayed as being caught off guard by the announcement of the 380, but I think they were mostly scratching their heads as to where all these planes were going to be sold. They had a pretty good knowledge of that market and just didn't see things going that way.

But I think Airbus and customers like Emerates were caught up in a future where throngs of tourists were flying from major cites to places like Dubai.

Also, like the Concorde, there was an element of hubris that started to take hold once the ball was rolling. The prestige of building the biggest passenger plane. And as the developments costs grew (as they do), the number of planes that would have to be sold to break even soared.