1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building up an old bike with modern tech.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by SV650R, Mar 16, 2017.

1. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

I am thinking of building up a 1989 GSXR 1100

I was thinking of upgrading the front end to a 2008 GSXR1000 suspension with Traxxion AK20, front wheel, and Ferodo ZRAC brakes.

As for the rear end, I was also thinking of upgrading to the same 2008 GSXR1000 swing arm, Penske shock, rear wheel, and brakes.

I was going to weld mounts for the suspension linkage and shock mount so they are at identical position relevant to the swing arm pivot point.

Besides differences in frame stiffness, can I expect the 1989 GSXR1100 to handle like a 2008 GSXR 1000? Or am I just creating a monster with unknown characteristics?

2. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

completely unknown, a buddy did a 1996 zx7( 830cc) with 08 zx10 front and rear. it actually was a decent handling bike, and a lot lighter than the whale of a 1996. you will never know till you get it on the track.

3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

i seriously doubt the center of mass and the mass centralization is comparable btw the two bikes. nor is the distance and relative angles between the headstock and swingarm pivots. so no, it prob wont handle anywhere close the same.

4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

No. Suzuki already made the thing you're trying to build and they did it better than you.

AGodsey and badmoon692008 like this.
  5. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

Good points... I bet the new GSXR1000 has a 2" longer swing arm...

Rake and trail is very similar, 1989 GSXR1100 it's 24.5 degrees rake / 99 mm trail - 2007 GSXR1000 it's 24 degrees rake /98mm trail
    Wheelbase, on the other hand, 1989 GSXR1100 it's 1465 mm wheelbase - 2007 GSXR1000 it's 1415 mm wheelbase

The old GSXR1100 were as heavy as a bag bricks. I am trying to shave off as much weight as possible... I think I should be able to shave a good 80 to 100 lbs.

What model is it?

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Why not just get the newer 1000 and be done?

7. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

I have the newer one... This is to built my own retro toy... Old looks with good handling and brakes... The motor should make about 120 hp. Should be fun to ride!

8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

An 08 GSXR 1000. Sounds like you want an underpowered, carbuerated version with a bad frame.

AGodsey and badmoon692008 like this.
  9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

You will have a bike with good brakes and good suspension. Handling is subjective, but as MDM pointed out, it will be underpowered and overweight compared to the suspension and brake donor vehicle. With carbs.

I would think you could achieve the same performance results with a Power Commander on the 2008 GSXR, and still have good handling, lighter weight, and great brakes. Just take the 2008 bike to a competent tuner and ask them to tune it to 120 HP. Or take it to a shitty tuner and have them load a shitty map. Or pull a plug wire. But you can get the 2008 1000 to run just as poorly as the '89 with the right effort.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  10. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

The Retro look it's nice... (This one on the pictures, is mostly stock components.)

I think with some work the newer parts can be retrofitted on the old bike. It's not going to be a 2008 GSXR1000 killer, but I think it could outperform a lot of cafe racers.

Stock these bikes claim to make 143 hp. The bike I acquire has 22,518 miles. I figure with an Akrapovic titanium system (Yes they make them for these old bikes) and a proper dyno tune, it should easily make at least 120 hp or maybe more.

Stock these bikes were 535 lbs. I can shave off the bodywork and a lot of heavy unnecessary parts, I think I could easily drop the weight a good 80 to 100 lbs.

My major concern was modifying the frame to properly accept the new swing arm at a proper swing arm angle. I had not considered the differences in length of the bikes frames, and swing arms.

This would be my first Cafe Racer build up. So I appreciate the different prospectives brought up. Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I think that the biggest issue with the swingarm is the length of the engine. The old (pre 1999) sports bikes have crank, trans input, and trans output shafts inline. The newer gen (since the R1 and R6) have the crank and trans output shaft inline with the trans input shaft/clutch above the CL of the crank and output shaft. There's your 2" in OAL between the old and new bike. So, even with the new swinger, you will likely have the same wheelbase.

I was being a touch facetious, but I do respect what you are trying to do. I am building a naked bike from a derelict GSXR600, so I understand the "why would you do that?" aspect.

Good luck and have fun, nothing is insurmountable.

12. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

I like them naked... :D

[​IMG]

13. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Do it. You are not going to build anything better than what buying a newer model will provide. But, you might just enjoy it more. Personal satisfaction is far more valuable than what someone else can assign it.

I still want to rebuild the 900 Ninja I had in the late 80's. 145hp, 41mm flatslides, 600lbs, F250 like wheelbase, and a 16" front wheel. Oh the lessons I learned, both as a mechanic and a rider.

14. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Pics of the donor bike please.

If it's some clapped out piece, ok - but if it's a clean example - please don't destroy it.

15. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

It's probably several clean race bikes with too much money invested to be selling them as whole bikes... Parts purchased here in this forum, on Facebook, and eBay.

Where do you guys purchase parts for your bikes? Dealerships and Retailers?

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

An 89 1100 is probably one of the worst choices for a project like this I would say. What you are proposing is doable....but I think a first gen 1100 would be a better choice than that pile of heft you are considering now.

This guy I think posted on the gixxer forum, I've seen pics of it on there before. This is a first gen 750. As you can see it has late model GSXR forks, and what looks to be maybe an 06/07 750 swingarm? Ohlins out back and aftermarket 17 inch wheels.

Actually there were some details in the comments.

"1986 1100 frame with 90 1127 motor with uncut transmission and new crank bearings. O7 GSXR 1000 swing arm 04 GSXR 1000 forks 38 RS carbs ohlins rear shock steel braided lines, custom headlight cover. 86 Suzuki GSXR 750 plastics. I have given this bike a face lift. Newer better exhaust and levers master cylinders up front. And 2200 in motor work including under cut transmission."

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

18. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

I look at the 1st Generation GSXR1100 and they do not look as nice...

I was looking at a 1992 GSXR750 but had title issues.

I was supposedly looking at a 1990 but turns out it was a 1989... Manufacture date says 12/89 But VIN number says it's a K

[​IMG]

22,518 miles, clean title. $425.00 Registred on my name with tags... With fairings and 3 boxes of spares. It's a start.

[​IMG]

Shenanigans likes this.
  19. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

It's a 1990 model; built in 1989 and sold in 1990 as a 1990 model. Nice find, great price.

20. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Maybe this is a question for another thread, but what does everyone expect from the "perfect" street bike?

I want comfort and torque...

That said, I do think it's easier to take a good handling bike and make it more comfortable than to make a comfortable bike handle better.

cpettit and badmoon692008 like this.