1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BST go boom.

Discussion in 'General' started by JD¹³, Jan 23, 2012.

1. caferace

caferace No.

:D

-jim

2. marcaztls

marcaztls Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for the post Bernie, I appreciate that, I'm sure others do too.

As for the crosswind experience of yours, that I'd have to be convinced further on. They're very nearly a solid wheel... No-one can argue with that.

I get what you're saying about the wheels being stronger in theory, and that makes sense provided the construction is grounded.

I know of five failures, however they're been caused with BST's. I'm sure once RBX wheels get sold in similar numbers, there'll be as many if not more horror stories on the 'net, again, however the damage is caused.

Above all though, RBX wheels are slightly heavier statically than BST's, and I've yet to see any MoI tests, the really important thing.

Sorry, I still think they're ugly and everyone I've shown pictures to of them agrees before I've said anything. People may be nice to your face about them outside yuor pit garage, but that's because they've never seen them before I'd guess.

I'm not bashing, just voicing my opinions on them ;)

Wow, sadly I don't have time to go through that Jim. Is there a page to read from that explains what you're referencing or can you cut to the chase for me?

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

There is much wisdom in that thread. If I had religion I'd say it's almost biblical.

4. marcaztls

Well when I've finished my bible studies maybe I'll make a start on that thread ;)

5. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

Well looks are subjective and not really the basis of this discussion.

As far as I have been told, ROTOBOX performs more tests on their wheels than are even required by law. IIRC they come with certification stickers on the wheels from some org but since I dont have them here anymore, I can't remember whose sticker they carry?

Here is a pic of the wheels with rotors installed. Look at the surface area that is taken up by the rotors and what is left that is exposed to crosswind. Now subtract the openings that are clearly visable and you can see that the difference between these wheels and any wheel is minimal.

They may very well be slightly heavier than a BST or Dymag but I bet we are talking grams. I bet if both wheels were broken down and the outer rim was weighed, the Rotobox wheel would have the lighter outer rim and thats the important part in handling. We can weigh the BST outer rim easily :D

[​IMG]

6. marcaztls

Sorry, I still think there's too much material there to be a good thing in crosswinds. Thanks for the pic though.

BST also carry out far more tests than required... I know that sounds like a tit for tat argument, but I've only stated it in case you think they don't.

The rim may be lighter, but RBX have much more spoke material attached to it, pretty much negating the lighter rim I'll bet.

Sorry, not for me, and not just on looks, but overall design. I think it's a fail compared to other makes.

Any idea how many sets they've sold yet? You and the bike pictured on their website are the only people I've seen or heard of using them so far.

7. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

Cool,

I have contributed what I can to the discussion.
    Maybe someone from RBX will chime in with more accurate date.

:beer:

8. marcaztls

That'd be great, here's hoping.

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Whats needed is a fresh round of comparative wheel weights and MOIs as was done in by a website/mag a few years back that I can't recall the name of right now...

10. marcaztls

11. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

You think, you think, you think. Sorry all you can post is your opinions. We all have those.

I think you work for BST.

I think the gentleman posted fact in that the RBX spokes present no problem in a "crosswind", and yet even though you've never used them you say he's wrong.

Weird.

12. marcaztls

Not really, it's the internet. It's for facts to get mixed up with opinions, and I'm playing that game.

I say 'I think' and 'in my opion' to convey just that. If it were a fact, I'd state that bit first.

I don't think you're very good at this though, so hope that makes it that little bit more clear for you ;)

It doesn't take a genius or any measureable facts to say the RBX wheels are different from any other spoke design, and maybe the others aren't like that for a reason...

Just because matey has riders that have raced on them and they say crosswinds aren't a problem on tracks where the conditions are what exactly? YOU think that's a fact. Tut tut...

Now try those wheels in the real world, where I'd use them.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well FWIW the track conditions they were used in were out west which is constantly extremely windy, usually windier than you'd see other than storm conditions in most of the US and the the UK.

14. marcaztls

Fair enough, I'm sold then.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wouldn't be sold based on that, just another data point. I'd be interested to try them myself and see how they work on the street around things like semi trucks and the like. Wonder if they make them for a Hyper? :D

16. marcaztls

I know, sorry I was being a little sarcastic (can you spot my unfortunate pattern when it's late night and I'm still at work?).

I ride a 175kg/385lb bike, and do stupid childish things like wheelies, anything that is affected by a crosswind would cause huge problems very quickly for me.

I definitely love to try them. I know I say I don't like the look of the RBX wheels but if they worked better than others, I'm all for them on my own bike.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's funny, I actually like my Harley with the fairing mounted to the forks because it will absolutely get weird with a wind gust. Keeps you awake while riding :D

18. marcaztls

Haha! It'll definitely do that. I've ridden some with those bucket style fenders and yep, it's focussing alright!

19. marcaztls

20. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.