1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BSB does anyone know what they make?

Discussion in 'General' started by cajun636, Jan 20, 2016.

1. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I'm watching the 2015 season on youtube and I didn't follow it at all. But it seems that they have some big names of former MotoGP guys that are riding there. I was just wondering what they make compared to what our guys make.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know there's no contingency in Europe (well, last I heard)

3. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

I don't think our guys make anything other than like 5 riders. lol..

4. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Dang this sucks.

See this is kind of what I thought but am just speculating.

5. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

You think there's only 5 guys in the entire MotoAmerica grid that get some kind of paycheck, either from a team or through personal sponsors? I'd be very surprised if it was that low.

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

FTFY

7. jeffr1ey

a paid salary? i would suspect it is pretty low. i don't know for sure though. just speculating.

8. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

I seen on Speed a few years ago a show about SX racers and what they make.. Most of them don't make any thing.

9. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

The factory Yamaha and Suzuki guys blow that theory right out of the water. There are a bunch of guys that are riding for free, but to say only 5 riders are getting paid is a bit of an exaggeration.

10. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

After them, then who ..

11. worthless

So, you don't think that, from this list of people - Roger Lee Hayden, Josh Hayes, Jake Gagne, Jake Lewis, Cameron Beaubier, Elena Myers, Josh Herrin, JD Beach,David Anthony, Chris Ulrich, and Garret Gerloff - there's not more than 5 that received some form of paycheck from their team, team sponsors, or personal sponsors last year?
    I'm not saying they're bringing in a 7 figure salary, just that they are getting some form of a paycheck (including keeping contingency) for racing.

12. jeffr1ey

first of all, i never indicated that none are receiving some sort of endorsement from sponsors/supporters.. but i'm pretty sure there is a limited number of guys on the Motoamerica grid that have a paid salary per a contract. It may be more than 5, but not many more than that and highly doubt it is close to that of the BSB series and that was really the question.

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

It's not how much you make per hour, it's how many hours you work that count!!!

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So, how many of them are there?

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If you factor in sponsors then there's a good number of riders getting paid. Monster, Rockstar, Arma and the rest of those helmet stickers are where a lot of their paychecks come from. . . and in some cases, those checks then go on to pay for their rides.

The good old days were about 10 years ago. These are the bad but slowly improving days.

16. worthless

Agree...which is why I used my words carefully and said 'some form of paycheck' and not salary.

jeffr1ey likes this.
  17. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

I thought David Anthony was a bought ride? Heard something about the Australian Motorsports Association giving him money for racing over seas?

18. worthless

And that's what I'm not sure about. Assuming that is accurate - does 'give him money' only mean they gave him what he needed to have a ride or does that include some $ in his pocket or some agreement to get to keep the purse/contingency $?

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

To answer that specifically is nigh on impossible. But I can say for sure the majority of the BSB field have 'day' jobs. It's one of the details the commentators often give out (Along with the racer's home town etc). Only a few are eating off their racing income. But we can surmise with more races and more chances at contract bonuses the BSB guys can earn more. Just guessing.

An interesting thing about BSB is a lot of the big teams are dealership outfits. Quite different from how our own series is made up. How that plays into the equation I dunno but having mechanics and shop resources close at hand is an advantage.

Still, a guy like Hopper or Kiyo is bringing his own sponsors and money to the table. Hopper probably didn't get a check from his team. Hell he prolly paid them.

20. joec

joec brace yourself

Rrw article this month shows gagnes house..lives with a couple of roommates from college or something. Not judging, but it looks like a college kids apartment.