1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brushin off Haters wit 1750°F Bright Yellow Glowing 304 Stainless My Pulsejet n Video

Discussion in 'General' started by E=MC2, Dec 13, 2006.

1. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

Mark II version will also be bigger, maybe in a year or two. 70+lbs of thrust and four wheels :cool:

2. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

But no mention of thanks to Racedad who actually built it or beck-technologies who designed it. Any other sponsors you want to not thank? Mom for the lift to pick it up and the CC to pay for it?

3. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

I put thanks to Britt Lynn and Eric Beck in the videos and in my previous post. YouTube doesnt show the full description of the video unless you click it tho. It won't hurt to say thanks again tho to Britt Lynn :up:

Just to clarify who did what,
    Britt Lynn rolled and welded and cut some of the stainless (the hard, labor-intensive (27hrs!!), fabrication knowledge required part). which is why the jet looks so nice and hasn't failed!
    Eric Beck has extensive experience with pulsejets and the fluid dynamics occuring within them and he designed the engine to flo properly.
    I deisgned and fabricated the thrust-measuring stand and engine mounts, the fuel system, and figured out how to start the thing, which isn't as easy as it sounds. you can see the thrust-measuring stand working in video 8 and my next post will include a diagram of the fuel system

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Britt spent 27hrs building your science project?!?!?!?!?!?!:eek:

you better get your punk ass over to the chicken coupe and get to cleaning or whatever he needs done for about 2 straight months!

5. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

all he has to do is ask!

I never realized how much time went into fabricating stuff!! I'm very appreciative of him building the jet!

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, he shouldn't have to ask. you should be over there every damn day waiting for him to drop so much as a peanut shell on the floor for you to sweep up. It's winter but go pull weeds, mow the grass, break down the boxes, sweep the floor.

and not because he asked you to!

7. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

I would, but he doesn't live that close and I don't have a car or a license....

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

how far away from Britt are you?

9. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The electrical connection to the pump is not shown.

It is set up so the pump is at a constant speed and depending on how much i close that bypass valve is how much of the fuel has to go to the injector instead of being recycled. This system eliminates any need for electronic throttling and I couldn't find a potentiometer (a cheap one) that could take the current so mechanical throttle was the best route.

10. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

about an hour, which isnt that far but it isnt close

11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

find a way to get there on days off from school and saturday mornings.

12. bigx59

bigx59 Banned

Dave, i think yoo should go see Charlotte"s web this weekend

13. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

It's not the corrosion you need to worry about, although stainless can still corrode away given the right conditions. Thermal stresses and fatigue will be an issue whether you constrain it or not. The issue is that as a material cools from a high temperature, especially if it is cooling unevenly, parts of the material will be in tension. This leads to cracking. Once a crack starts, it just propogates. Steels can become softer and more malleable through an annealing process. However, annealing is usually done in a controlled oven over a period of hours. It will cool much more quicky and unevenly in the open air, which is unavoidable. The truth is that just about anything that operates with that much temperature fluctuation will be a high maintenance design. Also, steels will become more brittle if they are cooled rapidly, although you can't really control the cooling rate in your case. A lot of structural welds require some annealing or stress relieving for this reason.

14. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

so if a crack started to form, I would need to get it welded then annealed to prevent it from cracking more, right?

15. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Waspalloy is very expensive Rodger and is used mostly for turbine blades. I would use something along the lines of Inconel for the casing. If I can get you some Nick you may not be able to use it because its mostly for casing of jet engines and is very hard. Are you sure its running at 1750F Nick?

16. Stillie

Stillie Off that like Jay-Z

Sponsors: Mel Gibson. :D

j/k Nick. Great job.

17. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

who put the spark in yo ride???

18. HFD1Motorsports

Yup sounds loud...it burns fossil fuel...it has flame...It ranks cool in my book
    Just wish we had some more time over here to get her fired the first time...
    I knew it would work...good job

19. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

I dropped the spark idea after pulling out an almost brand new magneto and it still didn't work.

I take out the spark plug, stick my blowtorch in the hole, turn the propane on, screw the sparkplug back in and let it idle. Then I just add some air via the gas powered centrifugal turbine air pump (leafblower:D ) and it starts into the jet mode, i let it warm up, and i have to kinda "kick" the liquid fuel on. It doesnt like to be bled in because at low pressure it doesnt atomize the fuel very well and it will stop the pulsating combustions. This wouldn't a problem if i could warm the engine up more, but the propane tanks are equipped with flow restricting valve that shut the tank off completely if you flow too much, this is there in case someone is grilling and a line comes of, there wont be a major gas flow it'll just shut off. then i have to close the valve and start the whole process again. one day i'll finish the 555 circuit i was making to pulsate electricity to an ignition coil. I need to get either a propane tank without that flow valve or one off a forklift.

20. HFD1Motorsports

You need some of those sparklers they use before they launch the space shuttle:)