1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bringing MC Parts Back To The US

Discussion in 'General' started by Robin172, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Has anyone bought a shock back from overseas either in their checked baggage or carry on? I'm heading back to the UK for a brief visit at the end of the month and I can get an OEM unit there for a restoration I'm doing. It would save me a bundle on shipping.

2. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Yup, actually 2 K-tech shocks, 4 quickshifters and 2 autographed "The Doctor " Monster energy drinks.... all in checked bag. Not a hiccup or question out of UK or back into CLT.
    As always, YMMV....

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, I brought back some clip on's in baggage without an issue.

4. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

what's the deal on sending a pressurized shock as checked baggage?

5. Reckon you can route your return trip through Germany and pick something up for me?

6. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Not allowed, but you can always depressurize it. Air Vests are allowed as "Safety gear" FWIW.

7. Robin172

So it's a no then?

8. Gino230

You aren't allowed to pack compressed gasses unless it falls into certain categories- otherwise it's considered HAZMAT. Safety vest and one spare cartridge is included in the list. Shock with pressurized Resivioir is not. But it's just a bicycle type valve, just let the gas out.

Question becomes, will they know it's compressed gas? Probably not. The problem is that if they screen your checked bag, take out the shock, you won't know about it until you get your bag stateside and good luck finding your shock and getting them to take it to FedEx.

9. Gino230

I was kind of panicky about checking my D-air suit on the way to Europe this year. I printed out stuff from the TSA and Dainese saying it was safe for travel and taped it to the suit inside the suitcase. In case they opened it up to see what was inside after x-rays show a compressed gas cylinder.

You might consider doing something similar for your shock- or just put it in your carry on- but that is risky too. In the USA you can have bottles of wine in your carry on, not so in Italy, I found out the hard way.

BigBird likes this.
  10. Robin172

What about an oil filled shock?

As for carry on, I came back from Portugal earlier this year and got a bottle of port at the duty free, which I carried onto the plane. It became and issue this side when I had to put it in my checked baggage for my connecting flight as it wasn't allowed as carry on.

Gino230 likes this.
  11. Phl218

Phl218 .

Burmester amp?

My in-laws are coming mid-december, whatcha need?

12. I am actually texting Jerry today to find out the exact part number. Fuck it. If Porsche cant source one I will try to find one myself. They only cost about $800-$900 and they are all over the internet. Surely there is one sitting somewhere.

Phl218 likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I doubt that they are going to release a brand-new car under warranty with a part you brought them.

mpusch likes this.
  14. They might, if their only other alternative is for me to release a barrage of uppercuts all in their dealership.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Now one thing you might be able to try is to source one and talk them into getting it.

That reminds me of the time I waited all winter for a wrist pin for my Vmax. When the spring approached, I took matters into my own hands and started making calls. Found one in the Yamaha warehouse in the Midwest and told the dealership to get it.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  16. That is a good idea.

I saw on one of the Porsche forums where a guy's Macan was (going to be) delayed because of the Bose amp. But the dealer robbed the amp from another Macan that was on the lot.

There HAS to be a damn Burmester amp sitting on the shelf somewhere, or in another Cayenne that isn't currently sold.

17. Robin172

You do realise that Beeb members have been hunting them down and buying them like pallets of water for the past month?

Phl218 likes this.
  18. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hejira shock?

Hope it works out