1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brembo M4 vs Brembo OEMs ?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by KneeDragger_c69, Mar 7, 2019.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Pressure required to create X clamping force? No different. A sliding caliper with a single 30mm piston would require the same line pressure as a 30mm dual opposed piston caliper because the single piston has to slide out as well as force the caliper to slide forcing contact with the outer pad.

For a little visual here's the line pressure difference for a 17mm m/c and a 19mm m/c throughout the normal force a person would apply to the lever . These are both assuming the same system otherwise. Same number of caliper pistons, same size brake hoses, lever arm length etc.
    upload_2019-3-14_15-57-12.png

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Then why would you count those pistons on opposite side.
    Whole industry is counting one side for any calculations.

3. nlzmo400r

That’s what I was thinking before. Basically this entire thing is relative and you really just want a comparison, not a hard number. That’s why if you double the area for a sliding caliper and count both sides for an opposed piston caliper you get the same result compared to counting 1 side of an opposed piston caliper and NOT doubling the area of the sliding caliper. 6 of one and half dozen of the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. TWF2

Because you are not getting real numbers, why not do it as industry does it so you don't have to confuse it when looking at pressures, leverage and sizes.

5. nlzmo400r

I’ve found articles that support both viewpoints. If we can agree on the universal standard or method I’m good with either view.

But telling someone they’re going to get 300psi of line pressure with 25lb of lever force tells them nothing. I’m sure it’s more helpful to say ‘smaller master cylinder bore to get more lever travel’.

6. TWF2

Until you get in to car stuff where there are a lot more stuff involved and dual masters, front /rear. :)

7. nlzmo400r

I actually got into this convo because a friend of mine and I have been dialing in a new setup for his car. It’s only more complicated if you add variables that are actually changing! We kept it simple. We didn’t change his pedal ratio or booster but found what size masters were cheaply available and figured out what size calipers we’d need with what sizes rotors to maintain proper front to rear bias (without an adjuster) and proper pedal feel.

But yea, bikes are simpler lol.

8. TWF2

Funny I like hard lever (less travel) on my bike, to control by how hard I pull on it. In the car I like more pedal travel.