1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake setup for 2016 KTM 690duke

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Trevor636, Aug 25, 2023.

1. Trevor636

Trevor636 Well-Known Member

My dukes low mileage and is just used for canyon carving/ deals gap trips and eventually hope to do some track days on it. Front brakes were not great to begin with but now are very spongy and lever almost contacts the bar. I’m thinking it’s time for an overhaul. She’s a single disc setup and and I’m wanting to upgrade the rotor and lines and master cylinder. I could do caliper as well if u guys think it’s a weak link in the system. I’m just wanting a top notch reliable setup for it and I’m wondering what u guys would recommend?

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

2016? Start with a total cleaning of the brake system. Take it apart and I would guess you'll find crud in the caliper seals and master. Clean everything then put in some good fluid, a set of DP pads, and take the time to make sure all of the air is out of the system.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

is it a Brembo master & caliper??

4. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

I’m guessing you have not bypassed the ABS since you are using stock lines. There could be air in the system. As has been said, caliper maintenance may need to happen if you have miles on the bike. Racing pads also will make a difference.
    The stock brake rotors, calipers, lines and with good pads are more than capable for the bike. Upgrading rotors, lines and master will be better but not huge gains. Bypassing the ABS makes them considerably better.

5. Trevor636

Gotcha. They have been bled 3 times but still not great pressure or feel. I will try upgrading the lines and cleaning the caliper and maybe rebuild the master cylinder.

6. Trevor636

Any suggestions on pads?

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

If they haven't been touched since new practice due diligence. Take everything apart and clean carefully because I'll bet your lines are fine. But new lines will make you happy and then just throw a set of DP brakes in and try them and you'll be happy.

8. Trevor636

Thanks for info!

9. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Well-Known Member

I was racing my '17 Duke 690 last season... Custom braided lines from Galfer and some EBC GPFAX pads are all you need to whoa that thing down with confidence!

-T