1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boycotting French goods

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by MarkB, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Tony - not only no but hell no!

Mark - thanks for the offer but I think I'll stick with my big ole redneck tars. :D

3. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Then what about this ? Come on, you know you love it:D

[​IMG]

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

i ran scorpions on the last jeep. good tire. the current jeep(overland) runs 17x8 wheels and i was thinkin' of m/t claw radials, not avail in my size, tho'. besides, since i put the last jeep on its roof, i'm not allowed off-road.:mad: so, it just might be scorpions, again.
    markb, you sell scorpions?

5. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

Well, I don't sell anything - I just work in the plant that makes them all:) lots of robots and new secret technology, and all that. But I've got a bit of dirt on some of the guys in Sales, so who knows;)

Put the thing on its roof did you? must have been you in that video posted a month or so back:D

6. Empty Pockets Racing

Empty Pockets Racing where's my collar bone?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Show me that thing running through a mud bog or climbing rocks and I may agree with you :) For now though it looks like a show car - no different than all the rest...

8. Empty Pockets Racing

Empty Pockets Racing where's my collar bone?

Don't have footage, but it is the real thing.
    Driven on the streets (with the smaller 44's installed), has definitely seen woods, mud, etc. i can vouch for that! :D

The powerplant is one to enjoy as well...
    blown, injected small block chevy.

Geez, I'm really starting to feel like a hillbilly now! :D
    (Although, it's not mine!)

9. SpEd

SpEd poor impulse control

Not all, just enough to get some free press on the television. It was an empty gesture.

10. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

...and they smell worse....

get over it....

what a bunch of bigots...

11. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Agreed. You can't buy that kind of advertising.

12. Tank Boy

Tank Boy clank clank boom

Did you see that the French are saving up their Pretzils and are going to send them to the President....

dorks.:rolleyes:

13. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

I was hoping nobody went here. I don't really like Michelin race tires, but I know many folks here do. Boycotting Michelin race tires isn't going to hurt the French, but it will hurt the trackside vendors we know and love, like Buff. Let's not boycott race tires, mmmkay?

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

well, i guess if i'm gonna go mucking about with my ride, i should do it in my novice year. i like the michs, however. i think i'll stick with 'em.:)
    as long as the wife doesn't see me like this[​IMG] in the jeep, pirellis will do for that application...i have looked at the michs.[​IMG]

15. John Ulrich

John Ulrich Well-Known Member

Many Michelin DOTs are made in Spain. Many Michelin car tires are made in the U.S., in South Carolina to be more specific.

16. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Merde!!! Boycott them all!!!!

Boycott the Dixie Chicks!!!

Boycott the Pope!!

Rodger

17. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Some here at the plant in Lexington I've heard.

18. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

Yes, Michelin and other French Companies have production units the world over. And in each case, their local management is usually made up of a mix of local and French ex-pat managers. Every month they will report their results in a video-conference with the HeadOffice in France. I guess the idea of a boycott is to achieve the following statement during that video-conference; "well, tire sales this month have shown a steep drop in volume. We put this down to the poor economy, meaning consumers are not changing out tires unless they have to. Erm, in addition, we do have to say that we attribute a larger number of lost sales owing to a boycott among many consumers of all French products, connected with the lack of percieved support France has shown the US...." The Chairman of Michelin (after he cools down) then might get on the phone to his good friend Jaques Chirac.

However, your overall point is to state the obvious fact that boycotting French goods (be it tires, wine, helmets, cheese, etc) utlimatly hurts the whole supply chain, including many hard-working people in the US, including Buff. This is clearly not right.

Ultimately, we are hurting innocent people at both ends, be they vendors in the US, or workers in France. Thats why, in all seriousness, I cannot condone a boycott. There are other ways of showing our dissappointment.

Last point - I work for Pirelli, an Italian company. Broadly, the populus of Italy hold te same views as France, however, their political leaders articulate support for the US at this time. With slightly different leaders, they could easily have been side by side with France. So we could be boycotting Pirellis too by now, and me and 300 US jobs would be at stake as a result.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2003
  19. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

My remark was in jest, and meant solely to get a rise out of Fred. He will continue to use his French tires, and I will continue to carry my French handbags. As was pointed out, in this age of international business where many nations are inextricably entwined, boycotting is, for the most part, ineffectual and likely to run wide of its mark, harming many parties unintentionally as it travels along its way to the ultimate target, in this case, the French parent company.

20. Tank Boy

Tank Boy clank clank boom

To hell with those Euro punks!

Nothing but Avons, Bridgestones and Dunlops, hell even Chin Shings! The Taiwanese are still on our side aren't they? :confused:

Ok seriously, Mark is right, any boycott isn't likely to affect any government's policies and are only fueling the divisifeness between the peoples of the world who only have a disagreement on how to handle a nasty little third-world country...

Just like my little avitar and sig. I think the boycotting is just people venting their frustration over things people disagree with.

Hopefully when the shooting stops and either we find the WMDs and are justified or not (and we have to say a REALLY BIG;"opps!") people will settle down and we can try to mend some fences...