1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boot recomendation

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by bsanorton, Jan 3, 2012.

1. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

^The vortices (not the low end Sidis) I held would allow me to push in both sides at the ankles and they also bent when I pulled the upper sideways to the sole. It did not fold in half but it allowed a generous amount of flex in my mind.

Try squeezing a pair of the supertech's, smx plus, or TCX S boots in at the ankle, it cannot be done by hand.

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I have a pair I wear on the street, they're nice for what they are (a step up from sneakers) but for the track I wear something better. My next boots will be SMX Plus or the Pumas.

3. Kneedown YZ85

Kneedown YZ85 Well-Known Member

You are talking about these, correct: http://www.trackstar1.com/sidi-vortice-boots-black/ and not the Cobra or the Fusion, right?

4. some guy #2

Right, the $500 ones.

I don't like the zipper placement of the supertechs or smx+ but those have some of the best ankle protection in a current boot. The TCX race boots are the same.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  6. Kneedown YZ85

Kneedown YZ85 Well-Known Member

There needs to be some lateral flex to allow the foot to pronate as the wearer walks because nobody walks with their toes directly aligned with their path of travel. Anything is possible, so you can't say the Vortice's will never allow an ankle to be broken, but they reduce the likelihood by a significant margin. As for pinching the ankle together, I'm not sure how that's a fault. I can't think of any footwear in existence that will protect your foot from being crushed by a 400 lb. bike, and in the effort to keep the boot light, reasonably flexible and all around realistic, I suspect that Sidi didn't bother to try to ask the boot to support 400 lbs.

Either way, I've had a pair of these awesome boots for the past two years, have crashed them eight or nine times, and would recommend them to anyone that can swing the bill. They breathe like socks, provide a slim profile around the toe, give me all the protection that I've needed so far, and are very easy to replace individual parts on when they break. As far as your claim of being able to bend the boot in the same manner as pictured on the previous page, I would very much like to see a picture of that. I just tried it with mine, and I can't get them to do it.

7. some guy #2

I could not get them to bend in half but I could get them to bend more than I found acceptable.

The TCX and Supertech's will not support your bike on top of you ankle since it's plastic and not steel :). In my mind if I can squeeze a boot together with my hands I can only imagine what a crash where the forces are much greater will do to my foot.

The boots aren't made for walking. Although the supertech's were the most comfortable boot I've worn walking around in.

The Sidi's are not bad boots. I just do not like them.

8. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I switched from Sidi's to Supertech R's halfway through this year because I wanted more ankle support. I ended up crashing in the Supertech's 3 times... I was glad I bought them.

9. some guy #2

ANy problem with the zipper? It just seems like a bad place to put one since if it's kinda exposed.

10. DARK STAR KAOS

DARK STAR KAOS Life before riding

I have the Supertech R's and have not had a problem with the zipper

11. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert on anything, but I just picked up a pair of Supertech R's today to replace my Sidi Vertigo Corsa's. The primary reason for this was the exoskeleton on the Sidi's kept getting hung up on my rearsets. I did drill wholes through them and zip tie the offending section down, but it always annoyed me.

No riding reviews yet, and they appear like they will take more time to get on, but I tend to walk around in my boots all day anyway so I'll deal with that small hassle.

12. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Nope, zipper has been great. Mine are tight in the calf area, so I have to get the inner boot seated perfectly, then it zips right up.

13. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I bought new boots.

Then I bought a pair of ragged out Supertechs from one of you bums on this board who thought they were done.

Crashed in those boots three times with no injuries to that end. I can't tell that they were even scuffed. They may be bulletproof.

Anyone tried these:
    http://www.heroicracing.com/category_s/42.htm

I can't imagine how they can be made for that price.