1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boot recomendation

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by bsanorton, Jan 3, 2012.

1. bsanorton

bsanorton Well-Known Member

I plan on doing some track days this year for the 1st time and hopefully some vintage racing down the line. Is there an economical entry level boot I would be happy with? I saw a Cotech for $144 on riders discount and noticed Bilt for $79 on cyclegear. Is there a boot I can use for both the street and track?

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Bilt is econo-junk. I wouldn't waste your money on it. When it comes to boots, don't look for the cheapest option you can find. Your ankles won't appreciate it when they are snapped at 90 degree angle.

This is what Bilt boots look like

[​IMG]

For about $100 more (on sale) here's a pair of A*'s SMX-Plus for example. Notice a bit of difference in the external plastic ankle support bracing.

[​IMG]

3. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

i have A* SMX they are great for track and street, they are also comfortable enough that i can wear them all day. they did a great job of protecting me in a crash. my next set will be the SMX Plus.

4. bsanorton

thanks for the feedback guys

5. Rusty848

Rusty848 Well-Known Member

i have for sale puma 1000V2,color black,size 11 if this is your size.$ 100.

6. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Love your cankles, buy the best "used" boots available if you're on a tight budget.
    weraclassifieds.com

7. bsanorton

8. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Check prices with TJ at Rider's Discount :up:

9. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

10. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I would buy the best boot you can afford. In some cases, that might be a used pair of higher end boots rather than new lower end boots.

11. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Any hands on with the Bilt boots? or just speculation based on price and a web photo?

12. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

:Pop:

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

With BUTTER!!! :up:

14. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Mmm hmm......held them in my hand at Cycle Gear and twisted them around a bit, especially in the ankle area to see how much support they offered. There was not sufficient bracing there to prevent lateral movement in the ankle area. There's a little plastic slider piece on the outside of the ankle, but that does nothing to keep the boot from bending and twisting.

Any boot that you can do this with two fingers..........

[​IMG]

......I'm not going to trust to keep my ankle from doing the same thing in a crash.....and yes I know it's a Sidi, but the Bilt ones did the same, just demonstrating how lack of sufficient ankle bracing can cause big problems in a crash, and Sidi Vertigos have even MORE bracing than those Bilt boots and they still bend in 1/2 rather easily as you can see. The Vertigo Corsa, ST's and Vortices have much better bracing than these obviously.

So, are they better than wearing sneakers for a street rider I would say sure. Up to the task of racetrack use, I would definitely take a pass. And if you're gonna put the money down, do right the first time and make your life easier.

16. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm shocked the Sidi is that flexible. I've got some old Alpinestars that are fairly rigid. I've always assumed that rigid is what you wanted? no?

17. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I did that test (bending the boot by hand) with a pair of sidi vortices at the GP and they bend quite a bit. Not as much as the posted pic but enough to break an ankle. The only boot I have seen not move at all were my Oxtar race boots and the Alpinestar SMX + and Supertech's.

18. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Add to that list Daytona boots and Tecnik (the Kangaroo ones with the carbon inner.)

The Teknic were a really good boot for the price.

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yup.......that's why I'm using A*'s SMX Plus like those in the picture up top. Those big outer plastic braces on the outside keep it pretty solid.

20. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Above the Law

The race Sidi's (Vertigo Corsas and Vortice's) are not at like that. It's just their lower end boots. The lower end Alpinestars, and all others without bracing for the ankle will do that.