1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bone conducting headphones?

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Sep 16, 2021.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Looking to replace my (broken) Platronics BackBeat exercise/outdoor earbuds. Did a scan of CNET reviews and one of their recommendation was AfterShokz Aeropex, a bone conducting headphone. I have never used or experienced that kind. How are they for reproduction for the full spectrum of sound...treble to bass? I just can't imagine the sound is as good as in or on the ear.

Any feedback?

I have it down to either those or the Jaybird Vista 2's, as I am looking for water repellency/water proof, using them for fitness paddling. Any other tips or recommendations are welcome.

2. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

I have aeropex and openmove for cycling, both by aftershokz. The openmove is cheaper, stiffer/more clunky, but better sound for meetings. The aeropex is softer, smaller, lighter and had slightly worse playback but just a better overall product. Both suck in wind and at max volume, and both have had technical/warranty issues within 6mths. Buttons dropped working, rattling things. Sound wise, both would be a 6 out of 10, sort of like listening through the end of a can, but nobody buys these for sound quality, and afaik they are still the best of what's out there for these types.

DrA5 likes this.
  3. DrA5

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I have Aeropex that I use. I'm happy with them. People can hear me when I'm on the phone. The sound seems fine. In loud environments, they can be hard to hear, but, if you put earplugs in, they get much louder. Using earplugs in loud places is a good idea anyway. I like that I can still hear what's going on around me while using them. I don't like to be oblivious to the world around me.

aaronson likes this.
  5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

6. Bose looking interesting, for $200 guess it’s worth a shot. I’ll have them Saturday, I was looking for something like these as any in ear on the boat I still can’t hear what I want to, especially those little tell tail slight changes in more of less prop slip at higher speeds. You can “feel” it but I know my boat well enough to pick up on just a slight pitch change in prop sound. I could always just not wear earphones or not have the thing on the ragged edge of trying to kill ,e but bass fishing is all about getting to your fishing spot fast. No I don’t fish tournaments it’s just a poor excuse to buy stupid shit

DrA5 likes this.
  7. DrA5

You don't need an excuse to buy stupid shit in this group. You are among friends, and many, many degenerates.

8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Hey there...a lot of us resemble that remark !! :crackup:

BigBird and DrA5 like this.
  9. Was that a typo? Or are there really some shits called “Bone conducting”?

Is that where the music and sound is so powerful, that you feel it in your bones? :D

As far as headphones, I don’t know if they will conduct into your bones, but I use the Jabra Elite Active 65t. Love them so much I’ve got 2 spare sets in my gym bag. I can’t workout without them.

Ducti89 likes this.
  10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

"My name is SuddenBraking, and I'm a stupid shit buyer"

TurboBlew and Gorilla George like this.
  11. DrA5

Any initial use feedback? Pros/Cons?

12. Used them yesterday. Shockingly good up to about 50mph or so then wind nose got a bit much. They take a bit of getting used to when you are used to noise canceling headphones was really my biggest issue. Would i recommend them? Yes. I didn’t play around this adjustments too much yet but just using the settings in Napster playing music I found a good enough for now setting.

DrA5 likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

never knew such a thing existed. very interesting. as a semi-audiophile, I'll pass, but good to know it exists

14. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

This. Love my Jabra’s.

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I’m about to invest in some. I use wireless earbuds all day at work but it makes it impossible to for me to hear anyone talking o me

16. Isn’t that half the point?

I put mine in before I go in the gym, or when I get to my office…even with no music playing…so I can ignore people and act like I don’t hear them.

17. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

well yes but I have to communicate constantly with my coworkers. Id much prefer to just Leave them in and be left alone but this place is very much a team effort. When I’m not working and not with my lady or kid them I pretty much just have them in at all times. I even have two pairs so I can switch while the others charge. Most people do as here in downtown Los Angeles you’re bothered every 30 seconds by someone begging

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

I just got my grado labs sr80x headphones.... not in ear but the sound quality is fucking amazing. they make in ear too but haven't tried those yet. 3rd generation in Brooklyn.
    https://gradolabs.com/

cha0s#242 likes this.
  19. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I can’t wear over the ear headphones. I cannot stand the heat I feel wheel wearing them. I guess I need just stop being a bag of hot air.

20. :stupid:

Same reason I hate wearing the damn masks on airplanes.

Phl218 likes this.