1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Body repair/Insurance claim question

Discussion in 'General' started by (diet)DrThunder, Jun 18, 2009.

1. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

My wife had a mishap yesterday and banged up the minivan a little. the other vehicle was unharmed, no injury, no tickets, etc (no complicating factors). The van took pretty much all of the damage in the hood and grill, although the bumper cover was beat up enough that they'd have that on the list to replace (but I'd ignore it).

I believe that a body shop will estimate something around $1500-$2000 to fix it. I can get it fixed myself for maybe $300 (already found a hood and grill). Because the van has a lien, the insurance company is telling me that the check will go either to the body shop directly, or to the lien holder.

The obvious question: How do I get the insurance co. to pay me for the work if I want to do it myself? In the past, I've had insurance happily just pay directly, and I'm free to fix or not, where I see fit. Apparently the fact that there's a loan on the van changes that.

Anyone here have any experience with this? The ins. co is Farm Bureau.

Thanks!

2. Mojo

Mojo Big Swinging Member

If you can fix it for $300, do you really want to file an insurance claim? Even if you have a $0 deductible and can collect the whole $300, seems like the inevitable premium increase will eat that up pretty fast and you'll end up in the red on the deal.

3. 418

418 Expert #59

I believe he means doing the work for $300 yet collecting the $1700 difference for other uses. I think.

4. Dalewman

Dalewman Not Dale, Duh-Lou-Man

There's probably a clause in the loan papers you signed preventing you from being paid directly for damage to the van. Depending on the amount of damage, some ins companies will pay you directly, but we all handle it differently (I'm w/ State Farm). I'd also be surprised if it comes in under $2k.

5. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

edit.......PM sent

6. (diet)DrThunder

Ya, not filing a claim at all is definitely an option. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to handle it. I'm going to start by getting the body shop estimate to see exactly what is/isn't in need, and the cost, and go from there.

Thanks for the info.

7. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

I've always taken it to three or four places, and handed them all the files, always told them I was undecided on who I want to fix it, and they have always cut a check directly to me, and I can take it whereever I want

8. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

:stupid:

9. (diet)DrThunder

ya me too (see my orig. post)

10. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

dont try to make money on ins work, get it done proffesionaly with a lifetime warranty on workmanship

11. (diet)DrThunder

It's a Kia with 90,000 miles on it. I think the resale right now is approx. $12.50 (in perfect condition), plus I'm pretty sure I can bolt a hood onto it about as well as anyone else :)

Like I said, I'm going to get a pro estimate and actually find out what is in need, and go from there. If there are safety issues that need addressing, obviously they will be addressed.

I called the adjuster back and asked how did it work if I wanted to do the work myself, adn she said to get the estimate, and then they'll cut the check to me and the lien holder after working out an agreement to get it endorsed. Apparently it's no big deal, but they'd just rather not do it that way. Luckily for me I'm the customer :)

12. onefastgs500

onefastgs500 Well-Known Member

lien holder will want to inspect before signing off on the check-we occasionally have to take a car to the lienholder to get this done on customers we dont know well enough to turn loose the car without payment

13. Dissevered

Dissevered Well-Known Member

My car was hit by someone one time when it was parked. A guy came to estimate the damage, and my ins. company sent me the check... I cashed it and kept the money for myself, and never got the dents fixed. Is it different when you are not at fault? Not sure, maybe different ins. companies handle claims in different ways.

14. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

it's different when you have a lienholder... Because, if it gets repo'd they have an ownership and they are listed on your insurance policy. If there is damage that has not been fixed, it can be covered under collision coverage IF it was not already claimed. That is why the LH has to be on the check - to protect the insurance company from dual claims. Now, if it were to get repo'd and the LH tried to make a claim, the insurance company could deny it as a dual.

15. atspeed

atspeed Praying Member

Don't file the claim if you can get out of it that cheap, the increased premiums for the next 3-5 years are not worth it