1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Body position question

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Dlk7u, May 15, 2011.

1. Dlk7u

Dlk7u Active Member

I was hoping for some help with body positioning in preparation for my first trackday later this month (Motoyard @ Streets of Willow).

I'm concerned that even though I'm positioned well inside of the bike's centerline, I'm always in danger of dragging hard parts long before my knee touches the ground. I can't seem to find a position that lets me hang off more while still having my outside leg 'locked into' the tank to feel stable. I think the side stand placement isn't helping (some Ninja Cup rules require that the mount be ground off), but there are plenty of videos showing riders with loads of cornering clearance on stock 250s (here's one example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDwpzb1n05Y). Getting my knee down isn't the real goal - I mostly want to make sure my technique is correct and I'm not dragging hard parts at the track.

Any thoughts? Should I be focused on getting my knee nearly perpendicular to the bike (which opens my hips to the turn), or instead focus on getting low and to the inside (seems to use my weight better to keep the bike upright, but also closes my hips somewhat)?

For reference, I've been riding for 4 years and am currently using a 2009 Ninja 250r.

Thanks a lot,
    Dan

Attached Files:

• BP.jpg
      BP.jpg
      File size:
      85.2 KB
      Views:
  2. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Ummm...you're doing that in a parking lot?

Remove the stands. They MUST be removed for WERA tech anyhow. That's why we have to screw with stands all the time.

3. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

Practice your shit on the track, not the street.

4. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Ask for help from one of the CR's at the track..:Poke: :D

5. Dlk7u

Dlk7u Active Member

The picture was taken while practicing in a closed parking lot away from the street. The perspective (camera at ground level) just makes it look like road is nearby.

6. Allthatflash

Allthatflash Well-Known Member

Your form looks good just remove that stand because from the picture it will hit,

7. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I get what you're saying with the closed lot practice, but remove your stand, and get on a track. Besides, how will you know what works on the track, without being...

on the track. And, dragging your knee is more of a symptom of speed and correct body postioning, than a benchmark.

8. Alwayslast179

Alwayslast179 Well-Known Member

a lot of people don't like to read or just don't know how to.....
    anyway, BP looks like a good start but you are right to be concerned about the kickstand.
    first trackday means you will probably be in a classroom along with track time. don't be afraid to ask questions. most people at the track are nice and willing to help out.

Good Luck

9. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

BTW, SOW is a pretty good track for the first time trackday..been there many, many times..just relax, don't try to over do it, and have fun..:up:

10. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

That actually looks like a decent body position in the pic IMHO.

And yes, that side stand needs to be removed!

11. primo

primo Well-Known Member

12. madman748

madman748 I'm your huckleberry

Nice vids... He mentioned weighting the inside peg to help you continue through the arc. When would you weight the outside peg? I usually use the pegs both inside and out to make corner corrections, but have always pushed on the outside peg and highside knee. Is there a correct way?

Thanks,

Brett

13. robparten

robparten New Member

Positions are kind of unique to each person IMO. There is a "default" way to ride but I have seen very different techniques to how much you lean off the bike and this is from watching different riders race.

The videos someone posted are actually really good.

14. robparten

robparten New Member

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Well, you're across the street from the library.....why not take a book out on it before you head home.

16. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Yeah dude that stand is pretty low. Like others have said once you get on track and get up to speed it will be easier to hang off the bike. Your form looks good, time to get out there to the track and enjoy yourself :up:

17. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Body position is not a factual concearn. I have blown by guys that were nearly dragging their elbows and I hav ebeen passed by guys that were nearly upright. Your body position needs to fit you. If it feels good and your turning good times....do it.

18. primo

primo Well-Known Member

Try this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyQsPgbgKbI&feature=related :)

19. Dlk7u

Dlk7u Active Member

Books

I feel like I'm constantly reading moto books: Keith Code (1&2), David Hough, Lee Parks, Nick Ientach (sp?), Pridmore, etc. Really liked all, except I didn't think Pridmore's had anything that wasn't in the others (except some great pictures). Haven't read KR's book because I can't find a copy for less than a hundred bucks.

Any others you guys recommend?

20. Dlk7u

Dlk7u Active Member

Thanks a lot for all the replies, and especially for the videos. They certainly settled the hip question for me.

Also - seems pretty clear that the side stand has to go. I'm happy to take off the stand arm, but I need to leave the mount in order to be able to use the bike around town during the week. For you guys with dedicated track bikes - isn't it a huge pain not to have a side stand? I have spools and a rear stand, but I can't imagine that being my only option.

Regarding the track day, I couldnt be more excited. I recently decided to stop riding in the canyons because I found there were too many risks that I couldn't control (debris, kids on gsxrs, etc.). Being on a track should take those things out of the equation and let me just think about riding, which is all I wanted in the first place. Will any of you guys be there (SOW) on memorial day?