1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Bear Do's and Don'ts

Discussion in 'General' started by Yzasserina, Aug 4, 2019.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I’d suggest using noise deterrents. Something by Bieber or The Ramones should suffice. :D

masshole likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I was in Michigan last night.

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Animal control people should be called...don't poke the bear.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I kept thinkin' Mongo when I wrote big, goofy, doofus. :crackup:

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Don't forget cute! :D

Yzasserina likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Touche'. :D
    That explains the bear not visiting the neighbor's BBQ wagon...they were blasting some gawd-awful, skinny-jeans, commercial pop, cacophony of horrors.

7. Sabre699

:crackup:

8. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Enjoying seeing them, be thankful it wasn't a hairy-nekid and stumbling drunk who was looking for muchies.
    They're generally harmless as long as you don't actively mess with them, or something is seriously wrong with the bear. They still consider themselves prey animals, so they'll usually run when ever they encounter someone. If they smell food or find a good garbage bin, they will keep coming back for awhile. I live on the outskirts of a town in the mountains, they're constantly in my yard and have never had any real problems.

Yzasserina and Metalhead like this.
  9. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Lol, the Thong Song made an appearance. Anyway, called Game Commission, they're not going to send someone out yet, but will monitor. So for now, garage doors closed, extra vigilant about food disposal (none in garbage, but I do fling produce off the second floor back deck into the ditch/ravine that separates us from neighbor, will stop that for now). Regarding neighbors, they all put their garbage out, we burn ours, take it to the dump. Should I rattle off a quick Word document and stick in their mailboxes
    about sighting, and the suggestion to be careful until Mr. Bear moves along? Lots of pets around. I think that would be neighborly and would be grateful if someone did that for me, but I do sometimes have a tendency to go overboard in helpfulness, so appreciate your thoughts.

10. Sabre699

A friendly neighborhood warning flyer would help the situation for sure.

11. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Seen in a movie once that you're supposed to wrestle them.

BigBird likes this.
  12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

When I die,im coming back as a black bear and eating your cats for suggesting playing Beiber for him!!!:D

13. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

It would be better to say something than leave them in the dark about it,if its rare to have a bear around.

14. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

FB_IMG_1564932493406.jpg
    Or a drunk Hasidic! My friend found this dope on his deck early in the am. lol

15. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

One night, I am waiting for my wife to come home so I could go to the gym. I hear her outside, so I walk out the back door to greet her and I walk straight into a black bear. A big one. He’s head down, inside my garbage can, about three feet away. He looks up. I freeze. He freezes.

We have a Mexican standoff for what seems like an eternity. He finally plops out of the garbage can, and when he does I can feel his front paws hit the ground. He turns and begins to slowly walk away. I don’t know why, but that’s when I yelled at him. “GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!” And he hauls ass into the woods behind my house. I could hear him snapping branches well into the distance.

Big. Like 400lbs big. Head like a beach ball, paw prints in the mud as big as my hand.

And he ran like a little bitch.

Fast forward a year. I’m home one evening, and I hear a ruckus outside. I go out onto the deck and look around by the garage with a flashlight. Nothing. Huh, must’ve been a raccoon. Oh well. And that’s when I heard the “woof.” I shine the light into the back yard, and there’s a bear. A small one, less than 200lbs. But he’s woofing at me, like a dog. So, like the big bear, I yell at him and expect him to run away.

He doesn’t move. I yell again, he keeps woofing, and then starts stomping his front paws. The fuck? Now my family is on the deck to see the commotion. We all yell. Bang pots and pans. He stands his ground. Now what do I do?

Ah, firecrackers! There are a few packs in the kitchen drawer. I pull them out, light a pack and whip them off the deck and towards the bear. They go off, and he backs up maybe twenty feet, and that’s it. Only now, he’s clacking his teeth and he stands up and starts raking a tree with his front claws.

This little fucker is standing his ground. That can only be a dangerous thing. Should I shoot him? I run the scenarios thru my head.......”discharging a firearm within 500’ of a dwelling, taking an animal out of season, hunting without a license.” I’m in a rural area, and most of my neighbors would simply help me SSS, but it’s too risky and I really don’t want to kill the thing.

I hatch a plan. I sneak out thru the garage and hop into my truck. I fire it up, toss it in 4x4 and drive into the back yard, horn blaring. The little bastard takes off running, and I’m in hot pursuit! I can see his little tail bouncing as I’m ten feet behind him, and then we hit the tree line. I can’t see shit, leaves covering my windshield. I open the door expecting to hear him crashing thru the woods, into the distance.

I don’t hear anything. Not a twig. Not a cricket. Just the truck running. Creepy. Where is he? He can’t be far, I was right behind him.

I go back inside, and two hours later, he’s back. We repeat the entire process, and he finally leaves and doesn’t return.

My buddy, a DEC cop, told me that I should have shot him, he was dangerous as he was apparently conditioned to humans. I told him my concerns, and he said “Shoot him, then call me. I’ll take care of it.” The bear never returned, so I never had to deal with it.

But the next year, a bear flipped over my neighbor’s beehives, and wouldn’t leave. The cops came and shot it because it wouldn’t leave, but it ran off into the woods. We never saw it again.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Am I the only one offended by the thread title? Shouldn’t it be “Bears of Color Do’s and Don’ts”? ;)

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'd say shoot it but then you have to do something with the carcass.

18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

So there was a wounded bear out there? Not cool.

Sabre699 likes this.
  19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well...if you see a white bear outside of its neighborhood that isn't in a zoological facility you probably should shoot it.

Steeltoe likes this.
  20. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Yeah, notifying your neighbors with a reminder not to leave food or trash out is a great idea, they'll go away if there's no food. Some times the game warden will relocate nuisance bears but "a fed bear is a dead bear" is one of their favorite sayings.