1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike transport using travel trailer

Discussion in 'General' started by kpracingmax, Jun 16, 2016.

1. kpracingmax

kpracingmax Well-Known Member

How do you transport your bike when using a travel trailer?
    Bed of truck, rear rack mounted on trailer or have any one made a front rack for mount between truck and trailer ?
    Post pictures.
    Trying to find best way to do this.

2. Lavana

Lavana The coming

I would say in bed of truck. Also take into consideration your trucks capacity.

Putting the bike in front of trailee would put too much weight I think... (Tounge weight of trailer + bike)

Only thing is you have to unmount trailer to take out bike.

3. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I was just kicking this around too. A lot of the 1/2 ton pickup trucks have very short beds. I noticed one person at Barber who removed the tailgate but it was an r-3 in the back which I think is shorter than a 600 or bigger bike, and it barely fit. I thought about putting my r6 in on an diagonal without the tailgate to eliminate clearance issues between truck and camper. Haven't tried it yet. My wife doesn't like the smaller toy haulers she feels they are to spartan for some of the regular camping we do. I think using a bike tote on the back bumper of a camper would have me in a complete panic not being able to see if it was still secure.

4. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

A hitch hauler on the back of the camper will negate your tongue weight.
    In the bed or do a front receiver and hitch hauler on the truck.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

BigBird likes this.
  6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I just used a Hitch Hauler from Georgia to Road America..... I do have to say It was nerve racking watching that thing sway doing 70 in front of 18 Wheelers... I cabled the bike to the hitch just in case we ever had a break away moment... But I could see it... Unlike being on the back of a camper. Worked great and was able to get more gear and beer stuffed in the Bed...
    [​IMG]

7. kpracingmax

I don't like the idea I can not see the bike going down the road lol.
    I guess it is in the bed of truck.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

NO! As terrible as the build quality is on those trailers there is no way I'd trust that much weight on a hitch mounted to the rear bumper of the trailer.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I've heard of people putting the bike inside the camper.

11. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I have seen it done. The guy removed the clip-on for at least one side, maybe both don't remember for sure. I about shit when he opened the door and a number plated bike was staring back at me.

12. kpracingmax

I guess I can't say you can not see the bike in that picture.
    No need for any cameras lol

13. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I did this my first couple years racing with the bike in the bed of the truck. If you don't have a long box just use a strap on the latch on the side of the tailgate to the lower hook in the bed. This keeps the tailgate shut and your clearance to the trailer.

14. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Definitely not the bumper.
    I had a receiver hitch welded to the frame on my toyhauler, works well for a bike rack, etc. I still wouldn't put a bike on it...

15. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Wow