1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike Selling - Scam ??

Discussion in 'General' started by etemplet, Jul 7, 2014.

1. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

I am getting these broken English messages from people that say they want to buy my bike. They are in the mountains and can't call, but they can text, the other just texts and says he lives in Texas. They want to pay by Paypal and let them know when I have an account set up. They don't give an address. They like the pictures and when I provide them with the Paypal address they will send the money and arrange to have the bike picked up.

What is up with this crap ? I've gotten 2 of these already and I've declined both but.... how do they steal the money back out of your paypal account after they take delivery of the bike. :confused:

Don't worry, I'm not selling to these guys but I'd like to know how the scam works. They could at least get someone that speaks English or can write in a more convincing way.

2. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

They typically send you some phony email saying that you have a transfer for $1,000 more than the agreed sale price pending, but you need to send $1,000 first to their paypal account to free up the funds. Then you send them the money and they disappear. I've even had people call me with all kinds of sob stories to go along with it only to realize that they're just another scammer. It's ridiculously annoying.

3. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Or they'll send you a link to a spoof site that looks legit

4. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Another way they swing it is that they send you a fake proof of paypal payment, hoping you wil not check your account for an actual payment. Sometimes when I'm bored on layovers I tend to fuck with those people...

5. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

I kinda like the guy that sent me a message VIA mobile phone and said he was in the mountains till August and could not call me. They don't even know how to act American. The dead giveaway is that they don't want to get the bike for $50. LOL and a tank of gas. :D