1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike Running Warm

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tittys04, May 24, 2012.

1. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

That's not a bad idea... might do that.

Also, I did verify that I have the map for U4 on the PCIII.

2. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

I learned this the hard way. My radiator is pretty bad after a season of racing without a guard. I took it off and sprayed water and compressed air from the back and was amazed at how much little rocks and pieces of rubber fell out. Holding it up to the light you could see how much junk was packed into the middle of it. I started trying to straighten the fins but after a few hours gave up I will just have to get a new one and keep this as a spare. I recently made a guard but the mesh was too tight and it made it run a little warmer. I'll check out the gutter mesh thanks for the idea.

3. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

Go to officemax or walmart and buy a black wire mesh office trash can....cut to size for the guard....works great.

4. tittys04

So... I looked at my radiator a little closer, and it is just as you described, chucked full of rubber/rocks/etc. There are a few fins that are kinked over (which is to be expected), so I'm going to drain the coolant, remove the radiator, and clean it up and straighten those fins. I went to home depot and bought a piece of gutter screen and will make a radiator guard using that. I guess I'll see in a couple of weeks if that helps or not. My instincts say it should help.

5. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

This. Also Target, etc. Ikea also has some mesh wastebaskets for under $5 and will match your Ikea throw cushions for your pit lounge.

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

hey, hey.. i posted the idea for the cheap rad screen first bitches :) LOL.

7. tittys04

Yeah... and I went with your suggestion. They're all just sore losers. :D

*** Although... Now I'm going to have to pull out a can of spray paint so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb... maybe the black trash can was the better idea. :crackup:

8. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

What I tried for the last weekend was the screen/filter for a large vent/fan above a cooktop. Found them in Lowe's, one was opened and the guy charged me $5. looked great but I think it was a little to fine and blocked too much air. Bike ran >200F usually runs at <195 and this was after cleaning the radiator. See pics below my radiator fins are beyond repair though.

Attached Files:

9. tittys04

eh... you can fix that! all it takes is some time. Ok... a lot of time. haha

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

yea dude, that looks a bit restrictive but was worth a try. Go back to lowes/hd and get some gutter cover.

11. tittys04

So after a weekend in very similar temps to last the last event (maybe a couple degrees warmer), the bike was running a tad warmer.

I cleaned the radiator, and combed all the fins that were damaged, and then installed a guard. I think the guard is restricting too much airflow like black's, because during the races I was running 210+ at least (more like 220 in some slower sections of the track). I'm going to take that guard off and see what the difference is for next weekend.

I low-sided on Sunday so I have to go thru the bike... anyone ever used those silicone hoses that claim to drop the water temp?

12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

During the last round at Blackhawk, my bike was up to 126 degrees celcius when I flipped the power back on after post tech. The bike started, then shut off a couple seconds after firing up. Since having it back in the garage, it won't start. We haven't looked under the tank yet, but I'm a little worried ..

13. tittys04

Holy ish... 260 F is a tad warm. Hope that didn't do serious damage.

So... I'm running water and water wetter... maybe I'll try some other additives like mocool.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  14. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Yeah, well whatever you do, DON"T cut the center out your t-stat cause that MIGHT fix your problem...:tut:

15. tittys04

Well I'm just not quite sold on the t-stat just yet. I'll do it if it get's to that point, but I was hoping to figure something else out first. My biggest concern is that water flow will be too fast, like someone said, and not cool the engine properly. Like I said, if I can't get the temps down any other way, that will be my next attempt. After that, the only thing I can think of is dropping some coin on an HRC piggy-back radiator. But damn those are expensive.

16. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

Hard wire your radiator fan up to a switch on your bars.....

17. tittys04

Yeah, that too.

18. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

I would start with cheap and easy first and you wont get much easier than wiring up the fan switch :up:

You could even get a cheap temp adjustable fan switch so it turns the fan on at say 195' or something.

19. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

I'm out.

20. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

HUH? For real... I did not know that the thermal conductivity of water decreased with the increase in velocity.

Removing the T-stat doesn't increase the speed, just the volume.