1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike Collection: Insurance?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dieselboy, Aug 6, 2018.

1. What are you guys with 5+ streetable bike collections doing for insurance? A few of my bikes are 15+ years old, is it worth it to get classic plates? At what point does it make sense to get a dealer license and just use a single plate for the whole fleet?

They all get ridden, but maybe a few hundred miles a year.

Also, large collection general: where do you store all your keys, staying on top of maintainance, organizing documents, security, etc..

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've got 12+ right now with 5 licensed. First off, I took over our two car garage so space isn't an issue. I have a shop built in. Insurance isn't a problem because I'm almost 58. I have a key rack attached to my large tool box. I keep track of maintenance with the Moto Minder app.

I don't do Classic plates for no particular reason. Probably because I buy and sell something at a minimum every six months.

Before I go I want to try out every motorcycle that I ever wanted. I'm on bike number 72 right now. There will be more.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

for me keys in the bikes in a locked garage(s)...lol
    I have the original spares in a fireproof box.
    Titles I keep electronic
    Insurance isnt much for me... about $950/yr for 11 bikes/2 scooters.

4. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

5. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

If you keep your antique (+25 yrs in PA) for more than 2 years then antique plates are the way to go. Costs about 100 dollars but no re-upping or yearly inspections. Antique insurance is way cheaper than standard stuff and covers more too.

6. I keep a notebook, but the MotoMinder app looks slick. What do you do with the bikes that aren't licensed? Do you keep full coverage on all or just comprehensive?

Good to know. Too bad Hagerty doesn't cover any of the bikes I own, and a few of mine are classics, not Antiques yet.

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

A couple are vintage race bikes, 2 projects and dirt bikes, so I don't worry about them. But Hagerty's race bike insurance has me interested. They seem more lenient with motorcycles than they do with cars. I looked into insuring my E30 with them but the hoops you had to jump through made it ridiculous.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I use JC Taylor...A bit cheaper than Hagerty. Never made a claim so I don't know how that would work out.