1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bicycle People-- Frame Integrity Question

Discussion in 'General' started by G Dawg, Nov 1, 2017.

1. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Just had a customer give me a 2014 Scott CX
    Headset tube is cracked. Is welding an option ? PIC_0574.JPG

2. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Sure, the rest of the frame is welded together right?

3. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I don't know any shops that would do that repair just for liability reasons. I have had friends crack their frames and the manufacturer worked with them to replace the frame, even if out of warranty.

4. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

Just put some JB Weld and a gear clamp around it and ride that sucker!

Phl218 and badmoon692008 like this.
  5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Just had a rep suggest FiberFix.
    If nothing else , I can strip the components off and sell them.
    Not sure why the guy did not do that. All he took was the tires , seat and seat post.

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

If it's a 2014, it should definitely be under warranty from Scott. Call them up, they'll give you a new frame or maybe even an upgrade !

7. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

At least he left you the rims.

8. socal

socal Well-Known Member

What components are on it??

9. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

If it's cracked there on the head tube, you should also run your fingers down the downtube. Unless that's a fracture due to materials, that bike took a pretty significant hit to the front and there should be stress or indentations about 6-10" down the down tube (going to the pedals) and about 4-8" back along the top tube (going to the seat). A good way to find the stress is look for stress/wrinkles/cracks in the paint.

Here's a great example of what to look for. Auction is not mine.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colnago-Master-Frame/162626590420?hash=item25dd4cd6d4:g:5hgAAOSwsS1ZjPDf

Here's the link to Scott's warranty:
    https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/support/warranty

Provided that you do NOT find additional damage, as I look at it more, seems like a casting flaw in the aluminium, as opposed to user induced damage. You could probably get them to give you a more updated frame or at least a significant discount.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  10. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Rims, there's easily $600 worth of components.

I called, closest shop that could provide warranty is close to 200 miles away. They said I would need to bring the bike in to have a Scott rep inspect it. Even then, I would need the original purchase receipt.

11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Mavic Aksium , 105 Rear Tiagra Front, Truvativ Elita Crankset, he changed to flat bars, can't read the manufacture E something Monkey Lite.
    Shimano trigger shifters, Avid levers.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Ive cracked felt frames & swing arms worse! What my shop does for bikes that are under warranty from an OEM they dont sell is strip the thing down and give to an authorized dealer to submit.

13. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Broski, in our current world no one will touch that unless they’re crazy. As someone else mentioned, given the damage the mechanism of damage was likely big enough to cause other problems. Wouldn’t be cost effective to inspect or repair properly. Work with a dealer to get a replacement, or strip it and sell the parts on eBay.

14. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I'm waiting to hear back what a new frame costs. Shop that does do warranties needs proof of purchase, which I don't have.

15. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Does the dude that gave you the bike have the receipt?

16. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I'm waiting to hear back from the shop before I contact him. Worse case, as was posted, I'll strip it and sell the parts.
    I found a complete bike on e-bay for $800, so that's probably the route I'll go.

17. dtalbott

Can you fake a receipt?

18. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

No, would have to be from a shop that sold that brand and they can check the serial #.
    I'm taking it to my welder in the morning to see what he says.

dtalbott likes this.
  19. dtalbott

Good luck!

20. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

This is on a road bike? Is the dude paralyzed that you got it from? I dunno how the fuck you do that on the street without a hefty wreck, but i'd definitely check the rest of the frame's geo alignment even if you weld that