1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beware of Renting!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Princess886, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Princess886

Princess886 Kidd's Mechanic

Recently I moved out of Pheasant Run Appts. in Lafayette into my current home. I received a bill of over $200.00 for carpet replacement, concrete sealer, and a replacement blind. The blinds had been messed up during my renting period, and therefore I never disputed that charge. The floor sealer and carpet replacement were for the 'urine damage' in the living room carpets. I baby-sat my sisters kitties for a week during witch time they never left the back two bedrooms. Needless to say, I feel that these charges should be dropped. I contacted Pheasant Run and they told me that they had pictures of cat toys and fresh urine stains. The cats never had toys at my apartment, and they were gone 5 or 6 months before my lease expired. Their word against my word leaves me over $200 dollars short. A word of warning for people getting ready to sign a new lease. Beware of fraudulent charges!!!!

2. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

that inda sux for you because they have proof that you had cats but you dont have proof that you didnt let them in the other room. best thing to do is take pics before you ever move a thing into the house especially if there might have been stains from before.

3. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

You got off cheap if in fact these things did exist in the carpet.

If they didn't exist, and the apt does not have photos/proof of the things they claim they do, file in small claims court. It's usually about $40 to file a suit.

- Roach

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'd pay the $200 and walk away.

5. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

When you are ending a lease or rental agreement, it is always best to do a walk through with managment. Have them list at that time what they feel is damaged, and dispute or negotiate those items at that time. You both sign off on the walk through items. That way, they should not be able to come back and say that there was any other damage.

Sorry you had to learn a lesson the hard way. Landlord management companies love to come up with reasons why they should not give you your securtiy deposit back.

6. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

I'd make the kittens pay.

Bloody cats indeed.

7. Princess886

My security deposit of 100 dollars was already non-refundable.....they took this fee AFTER the security deposit. I AM gonna pay 200 dolloars and walk away, but I'm planning on hurting their business in the mean time. I posted in our local newspaper. Management DID do a walkthrough with me, and said everything looked good. But I didn't think to have them sign a paper or anything.

8. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

you shouldnt pee on the floor.

quit blaming the animals.

9. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

Ah, come on young'n.

Get everything in writing. They saw you com'n a mile a away.

10. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

:bow: :bow:

11. Princess886

A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. They said that it was 'identified as cat urine' BS if you ask me. Do they always take carpet samples to the lab when a chick moves out? Probably some hillbilly jackass stuck his nose in it and said 'yup Marge, that there's cat piss!'

12. Sunny

Sunny Banned

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

13. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

14. Princess886

The voice of experience I take it;)

15. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Did you do a walk through when you moved out?

I work for a property management company that owns about 40 apartment communities.

16. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i got SCREWED by my apt comples in gainesville GA! we made similar mistakes that ii WONT repeat in my current apt. we got stuck replacing all the carpet, blinds on the door and a shelf in the fridge. they kept my whole deposit or1000.00 IIRC and gave me a bill for a few hundred more.

i needed to leave asap at the end of the lease and didnt do the walkthrough at all. in my current place, i know they will want to replace the carpet (they always do) so i am think on just skippin out ont he last months rent, i will lose my deposit , but i will lose that anyway.

after the last reaming i am not gonna let it happen twice.

17. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Unfortunately there are management companies that do scam people. We have a procedure in place where all move-outs are reviewed here at corporate before the checks are cut or before monies are collected.

18. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

You might want to check your lease....many times you can get more $$$ added to what you owe by simply not giving notice and vacating even though your lease is coming to an end.

19. Princess886

Sure did, but their word on a walk through doesn't mean anything without a signature to back it up. :up:

20. maxim1

maxim1 officially gone GREEN..!!

well atleast the nose of experience.....