1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Year SV to Turn into a Track Bike

Discussion in 'General' started by Harry Reynolds, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Harry Reynolds

Harry Reynolds Well-Known Member

I’ve been looking around for a good donor SV to turn into a track bike. I figured I’d ask the experts. What year SV’s make the best track day bike? And why? Or, what years should I stay away from?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Buy one already built, it'll be alot cheaper and there's lots for sale.

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Get one that's clapped out.

BigBird, Phl218 and TurboBlew like this.
  5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

So all of them...

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  6. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Do Suzuki a favor, buy a new bike. Everything is "new" and better.

More importantly, do us racers a favor, buy new so suzuki will continue to pay contengency.

BigBird, rcarson15 and ZimZam like this.
  7. Harry Reynolds

Sorry guys - that's not going to happen.

G Dawg likes this.
  8. Harry Reynolds

So looking at the thread - it seems an '07 is preferred for the FI -vs- Carbs. I'm looking for a bit of a project so I'd like to buy a nice street bike and turn it into a nice track bike. What do you guys think of miles? I know this is a hard one, but if can find a bike with around 15k street miles, how long do these stock engines last being raced? I'm coming out of a 2 smoker so I really don't have a yardstick to measure against.
    Thanks!!

9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

'03 up is FI. My '09 has 18K (at least half of that on the track) I believe, and AFAIK motor has never been opened. It's my 6th or 7th SV. I've blown up 2-3 motors with much lower mileage, I think mostly due to letting them overrev on downshifts. I get liking to tinker, but with so many already built for sale you'd be foolish to build one from scratch.

10. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

The stock motors go a long time with very little intervention.

2005 or 2006 are probably the best years, though really 2003-2009 all are more or less the same. 2005 and 2006 have the black frames, simple electronics, but also the easier to find fuel pump (4 pin connector newer style). The big annoyance from 2007-2009 is the extra electronics, especially with respect to the throttle bodies and idle control.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

Ninja 400 :)

G Dawg likes this.
  12. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I have one already built, with lots of spares. It'll run well, but could probably could use a freshening up of the engine and some fork oil, but its a solid bike. AK20s in the forks (and I have a spare set of forks), spare wheels, Penske shock. You'd probably want some new bodywork for it, but I have a couple of sets I'll give you until then to get you started. Leo Vinci pipe... A whole set up that I can probably give you a package deal, if you're interested.

There's a lot more, but I won't list here - wasn't meaning this to be a classifieds ad, but since you said you were looking. Its a 2007.

13. Harry Reynolds

My bad, ‘07 and up are twin plugs correct?

14. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Yes

15. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

04-06 is what I would look for...
    04 frame/swingarm still silver.
    05-06 went to black frame/swingarm.
    07 went to dual plug.
    Maybe Zoran can chime in here, but I always bought 04-06 models for single plug setup.
    Did 04 and 06/07 GSXR 600/750 front end swaps on 3 of em and if I was going to build another, I wouldn't even bother with the GSXR front end swap. I would send stock forks of to Zoran and have him install cartridge kit he developed for the stock front end.

16. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Ehh, there are benefits that come along with the newer throttle bodies and electronics. They are more of a benefit than a hindrance IMO

ineedanap likes this.
  17. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

There is a perk in that Woolich/Flashtune can flash the ECU's on 2007-2009, but man I hate that you need to keep in the ISC and secondary motor or else the ECU throws errors. Per the service manual you need the Suzuki SDS (computer) tool to sync the throttle bodies as well.

18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Don’t forget there are also individual MAP sensors that help keep things more balanced and reapond better to different situations.
    More than likely next years bike will be a 2007 or newer to take advantage of that.

19. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I prefer the 1st gen bikes. Simple and easier to pare down to only the essential components.

Banditracer likes this.