1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Pop up tent?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by racer880, Jul 25, 2016.

1. racer880

racer880 Banned

What is the strongest pop up tent

2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

EZ up. Or the one Borello is using now, he seems happy with it

3. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Aaron is at a LOT of events... expect to get twice as much life out of a canopy as he does.

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've chewed through 2 no-name brand ones. My uncle has an EZ-up that's outlasted them both.

5. sowega

sowega #710

Almost any of them will last if you take care of them, and almost none of them are going to stand up to more than one or two of those summertime rain/wind storms at Barber.

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

There seem to be 2 basic designs - those with the "X" going across the ceiling of the interior, and those without. The "on sale for $70" models never have the cross-bracing. that means the sides buckle and bend in a strong wind. The models that have the cross-bracing are more likely to fly away than bend and break.

If you want them to last, buy the kind with the cross-bracing.

7. Jht643

Jht643 Well-Known Member

Ez up "vantage"

8. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

This.

9. Jbird37

Jbird37 Member

Eurmax.com

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

EZ-Up Eclipse II. 10x10. if you need more space get two - you can still easily put them up and down by yourself. A 10x20 takes at least two people and can be a pain in the ass.

CK from NC likes this.
  11. wanderlust

wanderlust Well-Known Member

I have two 10x10 "commercial shelters" made by Z shade I bought from SAMs club this past year...I couldn't be happier. They come with 4 sides that zip together which was super nice for the first round at Grattan when it was freezing cold -- I could heat the whole area up with a small propane heater. It also works nice if you're a night owl or have a getoff and have to wrench on your bike late night, you can roll down the sides and turn all of the lights on and the people pitted around you arent bothered by the blinding lights at midnight or later...

Don't waste your money on one of the shit-tastic, bargain bin EZ-ups. I bought one two years ago in a pinch and it lasted 3/4 of a day at Beaver before buckling and throwing itself over my truck while I was on track...

12. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Even if it collapses, anchoring it should still keep it from wrapping around your truck...

I think most people grossly UNDER-secure their canopies. A tool box, a trailer spare, the loading ramp, and a gasoline jug might weigh enough for 1 corner. I try to secure my canopy to my trailer on 2 corners, cooler on one, and then everything else I have around on the last one...

wanderlust likes this.
  13. wanderlust

wanderlust Well-Known Member

Yep...lesson learned the hard way. Two sides were anchored to the truck, the other two sides were weighted down with a cooler and a gas jug. When it buckled the sides that weren't anchored to the truck somehow came unhooked and the EZup wrapped itself around the truck. Shit happens...lesson learned.

14. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Agree that proper securement would extend the life of even the off brands. I secure the hell out of mine with purpose made canvas bags filled with sand at all four corners.

15. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

just got one of these.....nice and sturdy...

Jht643 likes this.
  16. sowega

sowega #710

I take a Home Depot for each corner, fill it with water at the track, and forget it until it's time to go home. Even while the canopy itself was swaying and bobbing in the storm at Roebling this year, the buckets and canopy feet never moved.

condon66 likes this.
  17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Where's the vid/gif of the race hauler with awning that catapulted some buckets when the wind whipped up?
    That was some scary shit.

18. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Ive had a couple of 10x10 for 6 years now. With proper care and maintainence, and taking down in a storm, helps them last.

I just purchased a new 10x15, from a company in texas. 2 people have to put it up ofcourse, but the top is made from a heavy duty material that is coated in the inside and guarantee to never leak. It has all the cross bracing youll ever need. Came with 4 sides, with heavy duty velco, to attach it. Very very happy with it. I like it better than my ezup brand 2 to 1, and more heavy duty and cheaper. I wont post a link since I think ezup helps wera, but im more than happy to share it via pm if interested.