1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best OEM calipers?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mavrik82, Feb 5, 2011.

1. mavrik82

mavrik82 Well-Known Member

I am upgrading an older bike with a set of Ohlins FGRT forks.I need to buy calipers. I own a Ducati 1198 and absolutely love the Brembo calipers on it but at $500 a set used, they are a tad rich for my blood. I have heard good things about the 08+ CBR1000 calipers and am looking at some now in the $200 a set range. I'd some ideas and opinions. Radial bolt spacing is 108mm

2. benny6d9

benny6d9 Well-Known Member

R6 or R1

3. 418

418 Expert #59

I do believe the CBR1000RR calipers are considered the best now.

I've got R1 calipers on my GSXR. Don't know about fitment though.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  4. mavrik82

I wasn't sure if they were considered the best 418, just that they were said to be good.If they are one of the best than $200 is not bad.I think that all the monoblock calipers are rated high, just looking for the best I can get for a reasonable price. I'm using a Brembo 19x18 master. If I could get half the feedback and stopping power I get from my Ducati/Brembos I'd love it!
    What year R1/R6 calipers are we talking about?
    Hey Benny, I'm from albany, where you race, Loudon? NJMP? Got a Big enclosed trailer and will be looking for someone wanting to share to NJMP this season.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  5. benny6d9

i swaped my 08 gsxr1000 calipers for an 06 R6 and it was a huge difference!! i believe the 06-07 R6 and the R1's before they went to the 6 pot calipers have the 108 spacing?

6. flyingpig70

flyingpig70 Well-Known Member

06 and up R6 and 04 - 06 R1 are all the same, 07 and newer R1's are 6 piston and have a bigger spacing. :beer:

7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

06 and up R6. and I've seen them for as low as 50 bucks for a set.

8. mavrik82

has anyone compared the 08 cbr1000 and the r6/r1 calipers? Any real significant difference? I've ridden the r6 and the brakes are great, but not as good as my Duc. I will surely end up buying brembos some day, just can't swing it right now while spending a ton of money on this build.
    Thanks for all the feedback guys

9. 418

418 Expert #59

I think the 1000RR are the only true "monoblock" OEM calipers.

I think.

10. benny6d9

i got both calipers, master cylinder and lines for $100 shipped.

11. benny6d9

if both bikes were on stock pads it may have been more of a difference with the compounds?

12. benny6d9

the R6/R1 calipers are one piece.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

06 and later R6
    04-06 R1
    08 and later CBR-1000
    09 and later GSXR-1000

All of these calipers are monoblock design, 108mm spacing and can be swapped with any Japanese radial mount fork (minus 07 and later R1's as mentioned they have 130mm spacing). Of all these the R6/R1 calipers seem to be the cheapest and most readily available.

The CBR-1000 and GSXR-1000 calipers differ from the R6/R1's in that they are "tri-bridge" design, the R6/R1 calipers have an opening in the back of the caliper. The pros to the tri-bridge design is that its supposed to be more rigid, the pros for the R6 is that you can slide the pads out the back without taking the caliper off......note the difference in the pictures below.

These are the R6 calipers next to a set of 05 gsxr-1000 calipers (not monoblock but just so you get the picture of what I mean). That bridge through the middle is what I am referring to.

[​IMG]

At the end of the day however, I found that switching to a 19x18 Brembo MC and throwing Vesrah SRJL17s into the stock calipers had a MUCH more significant improvement on braking power than swapping out the calipers. Just bear that in mind when you are trying to figure out what you are accomplishing here.

Additionally, the monoblock GSXR-1000 calipers are slightly lighter in weight. I'm not sure the exact difference, but I think it was something like 100 grams or so.

Another FYI for you K7-K8 1000 guys (i'm not sure if it works for other models).....the rear calipers from a K9 and later 1000 will swap right over to your bike, and as you can see its much smaller in size, save a little unsprung weight.

[​IMG]

14. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I hve the r1/r6 calipers on my 08 gsxr 750 and they are o'k.
    I also have a 19x18, Spiegler lines and RJL pads.

IMHO the oem Nissins on the zx14 are better.

15. mavrik82

SPL, thanks for all that work to help us out here. Believe it or not, I chose the title of this thread to make it easy for future searchers to find this info and you just wrote a great "sticky" type article! Considering I already have a 19x18 then I think the cbr1000 calipers might be what I buy. I'm at best a decent racer but I've been known to 'not brake until I see Jesus' and like to trail brake deep, so great brakes mean a lot to me.
    Great thread guys!

16. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

the best are the R1, cheap and nice upgrade
    the gsxr K9 are nice but expensive and like 100 grs lighter

the zx14 are suposed to be the nice thing of the kawaas

17. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

I am also down with the R6 / R1 Calipers...

[​IMG]

They have the 108mm spacing... However, you do need 2mm spacers to swap to GSXR forks... And 7mm spacers to swap to GSXR forks, with 320mm rotors...

I think that with all brake systems, is all about the combination of components, what yields the best results...

I have:
    • Beringer 20.6x14 Forged Master Cylinder.
    • Goodrich Steel Braided Lines.
    • Yamaha Sumitomo R6 / R1 Calipers.
    • Vesrah RJL Brake Pads.
    • Brembo 320mm Rotors.

Braking feel is exceptional... (Coming from SV650 brakes. To GSXR1000 brakes.)

Braking power is exceptional... (Coming from SV650 brakes. To GSXR1000 brakes.)

I do not have a lot of Horse Power to out power other riders... But with these brakes, I sure can out brake them, and passing is so much easier...

Luis

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  18. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

Those Beringer masters are suposed to be the best of the best.

I was biding on one of those but at the end it was 450USD to much for me....

I purchased a PVM 20mm with adjustable ratio, that I will have in 2 weeks that I got for 350 with 3 levers and one of them folding.

19. shftr8

shftr8 Well-Known Member

anyone have any input on S1000rr? do they have 108 spacing?

20. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

lets not forget the new 2011 gsxr 600/750 brembo calipers...if they stuck to the 108mm spacing they should bolt right up to previous gen forks...

jury is still out on how better/worse those brakes are.