1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best motorcycle brake pad spreader tool?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by superkain, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

:stupid: why overcomplicate shit? push the pistons in with the old pads in and then change, who cares if you f-up old pads?

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Have you, or someone who thinks they are helping you, ever closed the brake lever with the wheel off? Are you going to put the old pads in and then take them back out again? There is a need for a tool in some cases.

3. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

I just use my hands and fingers...if they are too stiff that, then I use old pads and leverage

4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

:crackup:

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

yes, I have done exactly that. Are you trying to sell a spreader tool or what?

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Yep. Gonna make millions. Want in on the ground floor?

Speaking of tools....

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'm already heavily invested in Milo futures, good luck with the venture.

8. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

a hunk of wood rubber-banded between teh grip and the brake lever prior to wheel removal has prevented this for me on many occasions.

It's definitely overkill, but especially when I am leaving the wheel off for an extended period of time (fork maintenance, etc.) it has kept me from being an idiot more times than I care to admit.

10. elevenn7

elevenn7 Well-Known Member

Buy a pack of Cedar door shims...great for spreading the pads apart without any damage. They also work great for scraping mud off my mx bike between motos. Should be under 3 bucks a pack (10 count).