1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best kids bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rob P, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

You won't sell it. Of all the bikes I've owned, this one is still and always will be in my garage. :)

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I bought a used XR50 for my son for $500 when he was 3. Couldn't pass the deal up. He didn't really ride it well, and without the training wheels until he was 5.
    Sold it for $800 when he was 9 to get a CRF80 so he could get going on the clutch.

Yes, MADE $300 off of it. The used market for the little fifties is crazy.

3. bella749

bella749 Well-Known Member

I started my boy at 5 on a Razor electric MX bike. I chose the razor mainly because it was cheaper than a PW50 and I wasn't sure how he would take to riding. The nice thing about the Razor is he wasn't overwhelmed by controls, and the neighbors couldn't bitch about noise.

He stayed on the Razor for about 9mos, when I got him a TTR50. I thought the electric start of the TTR would be a plus, but it was more trouble than anything... Don't want to hate on TTRs, but that bike was an overweight, hard-starting POS.

I sold the TTR and picked up a CRF50; the boy and I were much happier.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

My kidlet is 2. There's a JR50 in the garage waiting for her. Like everyone else has said, don't sweat *what* you get, as you'll likely get a good chunk of it back should you ever sell. I'd go the XR/CRF route personally simply for the availability of parts & upgrades for it. Your son can get his feet wet and you'll see if he's interested in moving up to something more capable. :up:

5. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

I started my kids on TTR90's. One of them is on his own now while the other I still help cover the controls. I would just stick the bike in 3rd and let him go off on his own. This way the bike didn't overpower him in the lower gears.

6. bodell

bodell Green Racing Advocate

I got my son a pw50 when he was 3. The crf50 was too tall.

7. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

Got my son a used CRF50 when he was 5 years old. I was REALLY impressed with the bike - terrific little bike, easy to ride, bulletproof. Now my son is 7 and getting too tall for it. I asked him if he wanted me to trade it in on a bigger bike. I expected him to be really excited but he hesitated and said no. I said "Why not?" and he said "Because I know you love it so much." :)

He's getting a bigger bike but I think we'll have that 50 forever.

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Any one have those Razor electric Pocket Bikes? Are those any good for a soon to be 4 yo?

9. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

2 TTR50's in the garage, and a 1988 Honda z50r. The electric start is nice, but the Honda starts soo much easier. Kids are both 6, and he loves riding the TTR, but has a hard time shifting it. Usually uses his hand to pull it up into 2nd, and leaves it there. I don't think the Honda is any easier to shift.

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

the electric bikes haven't impressed me. You spend so much time charging the thing that it's no fun.

Plus I think the electric throttle can make a carb'd bike feel weird later.

When I was 4 my mom found a little fixed-gear bicycle that I used to rip around on. Probably had 8" wheels. I'm sure I could have ridden a 50 after a month on that pedal bike.

11. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

We love our electric Razors...I think it's a good first bike at that age particularly if you live in a suburban area with noise concerns. Just don't let the batteries freeze. Upgrades are available from mild to wild and it's very easy to work on. Btw, the newer throttles are linear not all-or-nothing like they used to be.

Otherwise, CRF50 is bulletproof and can grow with part swaps all the way to adult size. CRF70 or aftermarket frame, handlebars, seats...all cheap and easy to switch out. My oldest son started on 1 but I waited for him to get older. Our youngest are very happy with their Razors and Mom approved to start riding at an earlier age.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

My son could ride the electric razor before he could ride a bicycle, year or two later he jumped on a JR50 like he had been riding it his entire life.

13. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

here's my take as I look for bikes for my daughter:

PW50- smallest bike on the market. best if they are younger/smaller.
    CRF50- most likely to cause torn ACL in adults. easy to sell later for what you have in it in most cases if you purchase used/wisely. tons of aftermarket, hard to sell even when they "grow up".
    TTR50- big thing is the electric start.

electric- i'm looking for a deal on an Oset. real electric bike for kids. they have a new MX model that I'm trying to find pricing availability. looks like a winner. The nice thing about electric is if you live in a city you can just take it to the local park and the kids can ride around and you don't get the stink eye from everyone in the park. same for suburbs. you know you're going to want to put a new exhaust on that little 50, right?? the Osets are silent.

so if anyone has a line on these let me know...

http://www.osetbikes.com/us/oset-bikes-en-US/mx-10-en-US/

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

we live in an apartment for now, so a gas bike is not really a go. We could keep it at my parents place, but they would not be able to ride it all the time.

The electric Razor seems like a good compromise for now, until we move and see if they are really interested.

What kind of gear should/recommend getting?

15. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I'm really curious about the Oset as well. I think the kids could get away with riding it more places than a gasser.

16. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Helmet and gloves. With a top speed of 12-17mph depending upon which model you get it comparable to them riding a bike.

Of course you can go full supermoto gear if you want...

17. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Denim and a helmet worked fine for our son, those things are so low to the ground there isn't far to fall and they don't go very fast.