1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bent fork tube (Ohlins)

Discussion in 'Tech' started by kman0066, Dec 31, 2018.

1. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Got a bent lower lower tube ('12 Triumph Daytona 675R), OEM Ohlins fork. Looks bent enough to see with naked eye, but not any creases or marks. Recommendations on repair/replace? Who to use? Is there a guy like Wills Rim Repair for forks? :)

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

I actually think to remember him saying he does forks too

3. Theducatiman

Theducatiman Well-Known Member

If it’s an Ohlins you can contact them directly for replacement parts or even to do the repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Aren't these R&T forks? Replace the bent outer tube (unless the slider is also bent), along with seals and bushings, check the cartridge rod for straightness (replace if bent), service and re assemble. Ohlins (or any Ohlins service center) can also do the repair.

5. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Traxxion willl straighten them. I sent 675R forks there and they hooked it up.

ducnut likes this.
  6. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

I've sent several bent forks to Traxxion, always been happy with the result and the price.

ducnut likes this.
  7. kman0066

Cool, thanks for all the tips.

8. John Branch

John Branch 90125

You know when you bend something and bend it back it weakens it:whoosh:what is you life worth? Save money somewhere else:clap:or not carry on:flag:

9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Has anyone here seen a fork break on track excluding cases where there is already a crash in progress?
    I suppose one could break the fork leg if you made contact with another bike and then the fork failure could cause you to crash, but that would be a pretty unlikely scenario. If you hit another bike that hard you are probably crashing anyway.
    Could the fork tube fail if you are constantly running over some nasty curbing (Barber turn 7a, Road America turn 5 exit, etc.)? That also seems pretty unlikely.

I would probably have the bent parts replaced, but not everyone has the same budget / risk calculations. If you riding on track and not wearing the latest airbag suit, very best boots, gloves, etc., then you too are making a budget / risk calculation and deciding your safety in certain scenarios isn't worth that amount of money.

10. kman0066

Hoping to find someone who knows what they're doing and not just cold crank it over and not check for micro-cracks. It's steel, should be bendable safely if done properly (I don't have the equipment to be accurate enough myself), just more not sure if it was economical to do so vs a new tube.

The aluminum part yes, will replace it if it's bent as well as that would be guaranteed to be cracked with bend.

Looks like TNK carries replacement legs, so will be an option, if they tell me it needs it. They're some beautiful Ti coated legs, so would rather save them if I can though. Full fork replacement cost $2200 each from Triumph, equals me hoping to go with another option than full replacement.

Traxxion is not too far from me, going to send to them. I know they've been around a long time with a lot of happy customers, so I will go with their advice. They need to be cleaned/serviced anyways, so 2 birds 1 stone.

11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

If the steel slider is bent, it's pretty much a lock that the aluminum upper is bent, probably right at the lower triple. The steel bit is fairly simple to straighten. The aluminum bit, not so much. You should also have that triple clamp checked.

Fastt Racing likes this.
  12. kman0066

Dang. That'll suck, that part is stupid expensive from Triumph as well. Actually, everything seems to be stupid expensive from them.

Putting some new triples on the bike anyways, so will be covered there. Thanks.

13. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Welcome to owning a European bike.

14. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

Just a FYI I just priced a ohlins outer fork leg for a set of ohlins fgrt810 which is the main aluminum gold anodized part of the fork $312.86 so I would think the slider is possibly a bit cheaper??? Or not?? Either way if it was me I would replace for sure. If you do have the slider straightened have the outer checked as well and replace it if needed. Ya definitely want your forks straight and right.

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Dont know if it will work, but a guy just posted he is parting an 07 in parts forum.

16. kman0066

So, looks like they need replacing. Going to have to save up a small fortune to replace one day.

Part numbers for my own reference:
    Inner tube - 04761-32
    Outer tube - 04760-34

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

But you drive a Lambo

18. kman0066

Haha. Well, it's still a significant amount of money for some tubes, none-the-less.

19. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

How straight did they get the forks ?
    And how off were they at the beginning ?

20. yuengling910

yuengling910 Loose Cannon

I had to replace some tubes on my R6. I tried to order OEM tubes and everywhere I tried to order them, it was a month or longer wait to get them. I ended up finding a straight used set of forks and swapping the parts I needed. Going this route also gave me spares should I need them in the future.