1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben Spies to choose....

Discussion in 'General' started by tzrider, Oct 3, 2013.

1. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Maybe heading back towards Superbikes wouldn't be a bad idea for him then? Superbikes versus the prototypes would probably put less stress on his shoulders, relatively speaking of course.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dunno, I haven't ridden either one so not sure if the side to side on the heavier bikes in SB would be better or worse than the lighter bikes but way harder braking on the GP stuff.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It seems like I remember reading an interview where he (I think it was Spies) said the hardest thing to get used to was the massive braking force of the GP bikes and the upper body strength required to support yourself under braking.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes sense. Especially when you drop muscle mass to drop weight to be competitive with the midgets.

5. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I thought it was really interesting that after his INdy crash they said he was the only A-stars rider not using the airbags.

6. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I actually thought/wondered if that was a mistake. I'm not an expert, but it seems like it may have been overdone.

7. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

8. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

I still think THIS is what did him in. I think it made him fragile. He'd chucked a fair number of bikes down the road before moving to GP and never got hurt that badly. Seems like every crash in GP now has him headed to the med center & eventually surgeon.

9. caferace

caferace No.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

So is he taking a year off? Retiring?

11. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Shit. I've never heard of a shoulder injury taking so long to heal:(

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yeah, going on sabbatical or dropping down to WSBK or something else?

13. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Shit. That made my head hurt. I'm with the other guy, no racing for spies for the foreseeable future? Shame. Guy went from top of the world to the couch in a few short years :(

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I can think of a couple pros who had their careers ended due to shoulder soft tissue damage.

15. precipitous

precipitous Well-Known Member

Consider the source, which has blow to snort - I mean an axe to grind with Spies. :D

Ducati didn't get their way and force him onto the Crapigale in WSBK or the spec-ecu dev bike so probably best for him anyway to get away from those turds. :(

I just hope he recovers and is maybe eying a potential future with Suzuki in MotoGP. :up:

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The last thing we've heard publicly from the Spies camp was a stoned tweet and an apology. Not much left except to let the rumor mill grind away.

18. precipitous

"Italian media" meaning he read the same website. :crackup:

I'm not saying there isn't truth to it but that site has a history of late (thanks to Carlo "sniffles" Pernat) of dogging Spies. :D

19. caferace

caferace No.

GPOne is (historically) pretty damn unbiased, especially on the Italian scale.

-jim

20. precipitous

Italian scale. :crackup: