1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben and Mary Spies

Discussion in 'General' started by Brian Van, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

My son Max and I went to the MotoGP last weekend in Indy, our annual Mancation. We spent some time with our friends from Alpinestars and Max was able to go over and talk to Ben for a bit. When Ben got up to leave he came over and shook Max's hand.

Mary Spies was sitting on the other side of the hospitality and started making faces at Max. She got up and came over to talk to him. She offered to give Max a t shirt later in the day. After qualifying we went back to the hospitality and Mary was there. She asked if Max would like to go to Ben's garage to get that shirt.

Being his legal guardian and all I followed him into the Tech3 garage. Mary handed him the shirt and he looked up and said "Where are Ben Spies motorcycles?" she grabbed his hand and said "Right this way honey". As you would expect I stayed on his six and followed to have a look as well.

After we walked out Max gave Mary a hug and she gave him a kiss.

Mary and Ben Spies absolutely ROCK! They made my 4 year old sons Mancation one to remember for sure. They are both good folks and solid ambassadors for our sport.

Thank you Ben and Mary!
    Brian Van

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Cool story! :up:

3. MotorSWATCop

MotorSWATCop Former Trackday Turd

Pretty cool that they give back. Good for them and good for Max. You on the other hand are a Groupie...

4. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

5. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

Awesome.....I either need a kid or a puppy.

6. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Gotta love it.

They're doing it right.

7. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Marry got us kicked out of the paddock on Friday... Just saying

Ask eggfooyoung...

8. 4literranger485

4literranger485 gold member

puppy's are cheaper :up:

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

And never ask for the car keys.

10. Alexdouble-R

Alexdouble-R Well-Known Member

11. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

And then Ben goes on to win pole, podium, and generally kick some ass. Coincidence? I think not.

12. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

And this is supposed to surprise us?:D

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's what you get for being noticed....

14. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

They were messing' with Sasquatch! :D

Next time bring Max, I hear they like adorable curious kids. ;)

15. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

:stupid:

16. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

:stupid:

We were literally just standing there... :eek:

17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I have a funny quote from Mary Speis that I overheard while I was walking through the pits on Sunday. She was talking to a kid, probably 10-12 years old and she obviously knew him. The kid was supposed to tell his Grandma to be at a the back of the garage at 1PM. As she was finishing up with him, she said, “Now what time?” His response was, “1PM.” “Who are you going to tell?” His response was “Grandma.” “OK and tie those shoes or you are going to fall down and bust a nut.” I wasn’t the only one nearby with a somewhat surprised look on my face that she would say that to the kid. Of course this may not have been the most innocent kid anyway as the next thing he did was get his picture taken with him in between the Pramac umbrella girls. You do the math - height of a 10-12 year old - two ladies turned in towards him for a photo.

In any case, Ben was really nice when he came out of the back of the pit garage after the warm up on Sunday, he signed several autographs in the 90+ degree heat before heading off to some A/C. :up:

18. bsawicki

bsawicki Well-Known Member

speaking of nice guy's, that brian van is a good guy also
    my daughters watch his monthly video's and think hes cool!

19. nemo cockrell

nemo cockrell Well-Known Member

:crackup:

20. Modifyd4

Modifyd4 Well-Known Member

Great story... Its good ones like this that people should look up to.