1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beirut explosion......

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Aug 4, 2020.

1. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

It’s Lebanon. It like when you find a common bolt. You save it because you know you’ll use someday.

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Just lucky it wasn't empty at the time.

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Of course...

4. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Might get a good deal on that truck in the foreground....

5. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Mixed blessing. I'm seeing that those silos could have contained around 70% of the countries entire grain stores. I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of hungry people who'd rather have that grain, than the buildings that were saved.

bigtime likes this.
  6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I agree. I was just stating that being right next door to the blast you'd think that thing would be leveled. Anyone on the other side of it is likely glad it was there. They may not later but as of now they likely are.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    stk0308 likes this.
  7. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

If they hit at around 3000 m/s I’m sure it’s not coincidence, they probably designed for 1-1 TNT mass equivalency.

There are military radars and spy satellites always monitoring that area of the world, not to mention it would be trailing plasma.

Even if I were to entertain the idea that it were an impactor, that thing would already have to be in orbit when it was deployed. A missile in boost phase would be noted and recorded by every significant power on Earth.

The ISS orbit is 420 KM, using that as a baseline the time from deployment to impact would be at least 10 minutes.

Also, 7 tonnes doesn’t account for the size of the explosion. That thing must have have been hundreds of tonnes minimum. No one has the capability to deliver an impactor with that much energy. If you guys are claiming an impactor set off the nitrate, that’s simply retarded too. Why go through the complexity and risk of a space rod when you can just light a fire next to the stuff?

If you guys want to make up a conspiracy theory, just say that Israeli agents broke into the warehouse and set fire to the shit next door. You don’t need rods from god or space men.

sdg and R1Racer99 like this.
  8. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Wasn't there a Tin Foil Charly character here before?

Did he find it too crowded?....

rice r0cket likes this.
  9. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

https://www.timesofisrael.com/hezbollah-planned-immense-game-changing-terror-attacks-report/

The largest cache, containing some three tons of ammonium nitrate, a key ingredient for some types of explosives, was found at four locations in north London, sites raided by the Metropolitan Police in September 2015. Other caches planted by Hezbollah cells were discovered in Cyprus, Thailand and as-yet unnamed European countries, according to reports.

Mossad information enabled Thai authorities to nab a cell in the country in early 2015, followed in April of that year by the arrest of Hezbollah operative Hussein Abdullah in Cyprus after his cellar was found to contain a ton of ammonium nitrate.

This was a year ago

10. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Why would there be plasma? It's not a meteorite. At Mach 10, air friction will only raise the surface temp to ~3600ºF, well below the melting point of Tungsten and virtually harmless to ceramics. Any plasma produced by ionization of the air isn't going to be visible at the altitude covered by the vids. You need to go up about 40-80 miles and it wouldn't be noticeably visible during daylight, much less without magnification. It's not a gargantuan boulder dropping from space at 36,ooo mph.
    Already covered.
    Satellites cruise at much lower altitudes, particularly, military satellites. I stand by my 1:25 flight time, not taking into consideration acceleration time which will certainly be shortened by a launch motor.
    No, 7 tons does not. But if you drop it on an ammo dump...
    I'm not promoting any conspiracy, I'm just pointing out the results of basic calculations whose presentation were prompted by Cannoli's comments.

FWIW, the Oklahoma bombing was roughly the equivalent of 2.5tons of TNT.

Prospect likes this.
  12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

My post was a complete off the cuff fabrication. Just a response to all the shit people say they heard from self proclaimed experts.

There was no orbital strike. There is no orbital kinetic weapon. It was simply AN that was stored in a location too close to a place that had a smaller boom. It decided to play boom too.

I worked for SPAWAR System Center Charleston years ago. It's a fun name to throw around. Otherwise a pretty boring ass place. I did have clearance and really, there's no super secret squirrel stuff out there.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  13. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Hey all, can someone point me to a GOOD web site(s) that has comprehensive information about this explosion? I don't like watching or surfing through the usual "news" websites because they tend to have limited coverage especially when it comes to serious events overseas. I don't want someones spin opinion either. Just factual realities of the event and aftermath as known thus far.

shakazulu12 likes this.
  14. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

That depends on the purpose of the payload. It's not a "one orbit fits all" world we live in.

15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

It's not a super heavy duty explosive. The detonation velocity is around 2500 m/s. Compare that to RDX which is around 8500 m/s. Then there are a few around 10000 m/s. Not the only factor in explosive force but a good relative strength indicator.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_explosive_detonation_velocities

16. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

NAVWAR (SPAWAR) SCC, I know it well. I've spent many a work weeks over several years in the ISA lab. Most of those guys only hold a S clearance, with leadership maaaaybe holding a TS, but almost (almost) none higher than TS.

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'm aware of that.

18. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Dude. Thank you for this post.

There are a lot of loons out there for sure.

For perspective there have been several explosions of this size, some a hundred years ago, some in the States.

Jed likes this.
  19. bigtime

bigtime Well-Known Member

I’m in ag so that was the first thing I pulled up. They import 93 percent of their grains for milling. 85 percent of that elevator was destroyed. It kept what was behind it from being leveled and from the shock wave. You can see it in before and afters.

20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I had TS. Mainly because the FSO gave me the wrong clearance application and decided to go ahead and process for TS. The DIA agent was harsh. She grilled the shit out of me on every answer. And grilled friends from growing up, and past co-workers.

I was a contractor hired by Scientific Research Corporation. I've been gone long enough to not be under the 10 year security blanket anymore.

I worked mainly with subsurface stuff.

Going into the lab while it was operating under TS was always cool.

IIRC my badge was pink. I can't remember if that was the CAC or a separate badge. I think it was one and the same.