1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beirut explosion......

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Aug 4, 2020.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

RIP all that died. Prayers for the wounded!!!!:(

Prospect likes this.
  2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

With apologies to the late Marty Feldman..."There house".

OldSchlPunk likes this.
  3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Prayers of comfort for the families of the killed and injured. I cannot imagine the long lasting impact that kind of event can have on a person, even in a region that is no stranger to conflict..

Prospect likes this.
  4. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

So now, we have to worry about nukes (destruction-wise) falling from the sky anywhere at any point in time.

5. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Couldn't echo this more profoundly. Just the horror of surviving this and knowing that a loved one was near the blast radius and was vaporized is spine chilling. Thoughts, prayers and condolences to everyone impacted by this.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

300,000 people lost their homes.

7. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Negative. I know lots of "some guys that WORK at NAVWAR (what they are called now), and except for a very select few, they wouldn't have the clearance to know those details, let alone the true capabilities of that weapons platform.

backbone, dantheman and The Great One like this.
  8. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Orbital microwave laser, (maser) if we are speculating on exotic weaponry. That's my bet.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Isn't that kinda like saying a civilian doesn't really know what an M16 is capable of as the combat sights tell more than just a post-sight picture, if you're "in the know"?
    I think it's safe to say that the capability to target a dime from orbit with an inert object of specific design exists. Extrapolate the weight of a tungsten rod or ceramic-coated depleted uranium rod, either being roughly 20' long and 1' in diameter, using equations that determine kinetic energy on impact, and the capabilities seem well within reach of being hypothesized by anyone with the intellect to use a calculator.
    How they got that weight (if it exists) into space is the subject of security clearances.

10. That’s one of the absolute mind blowing stats of the power this had, hard to wrap your head around that much force from a “non- contained” explosion.

11. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Seems like the simplest answer is the most likely and that has nothing to do with foreign powers and advanced weaponry.

I wonder how much that huge concrete silo group mitigated against more damage.

badmoon692008 and mpusch like this.
  12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Near the water like that...shark with "laser beams" on their heads.

And yes that part of the Earth is going to suck much more than it does already. :(

Its too bad...waaaay back in the day Beirut was allegedly a swinging place to be.

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I was there a few years ago walking all over the city. Actually really enjoyed it, although all the old buildings still had bullet holes all over them. The muslims used to fly there to party on the weekends (maybe they still do). I heard stories of them boarding the planes in their traditional clothes, then going into the plane bathroom to change into t-shirts and jeans.

ChemGuy likes this.
  14. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

No, it's nothing like that.

There's nothing classified about that. (if it exists) Everyone on the planet would see the launch take place and would be able to identify the launch vehicle.

15. fastfreddie

Out of context, yeah. Add the qualifier and it's a different story.

16. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Anyone have or seen overheads of the destruction?

Would an explosion like this be able to produce equal force in all directions?

17. fastfreddie

That's how explosions work, until they act upon another force. :D

OGs750 likes this.
  18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

The “non contained” part is what puzzles me. Is that stuff really THAT violent when not contained?
    If contained what fool made that decision?

19. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Dayum. My heart aches for everyone affected.

Now is about the time the war drums will start being pounded. Probably for war with Russia?

20. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

See post #83 on page 5 and scroll down a bit they have a good before/after image that you can play with.