1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being tall and riding motorcycles

Discussion in 'General' started by turbulence, Aug 6, 2018.

1. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

ok seriously.. i'm about to quite motorcycles altogether. i've been through so many pieces of gear trying to find stuff that fits, that i'm ready to just burn it all to the ground. literally the only things that "sort of" fits me is my leather suit and even that i can't stand straight up in or it pushes on the crotchal region to the point of uncomfotability.

so my latest endeavor is a "Tall" cut dianese jacket. according to their sizing chart this is made for someone 6'2"-6'3".. i'm 6'4", how bad can it be? I get the jacket today and it's a goddamn belly shirt. If i didn't have a shirt on under it, my fucking skin would be showing as it doesn't even come down to the waist on my pants.

the arms are plenty long. it's almost like they put "long" arms on a regular length jacket and called it a tall.

yeah, i get it, you're supposed to wear these sitting on a bike, but this thing would leave my back exposed if i was leaned over on a bike. I've got a RS Taichi jacket that is sort of longer, but damn, I'm about ready to accept motorcycle gear will never fit me.

[​IMG]

2. 969

969 Well-Known Member

3. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Are you just trolling DaveK?

Phl218 and shakazulu12 like this.
  4. turbulence

no, but i can flat foot my multistrada with ease, so i guess there's that :rolleyes:

5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I see what you did there........

[​IMG]

t11ravis likes this.
  6. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Try being 6'6".....

7. turbulence

so what do you do?

8. 6’5” here. I buy 50/60 in suits and have them tailored. Jackets suck, I haven’t had good luck with any.

9. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Haven't needed gear in a LOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGG time, but I found the 50/60 Dainese Suit I had fit really well for riding position, Like you, couldn't really stand up straight unless I unzipped and pulled it back off my shoulders.

Eventually, went to a full custom suit and it was blissful.

Before track only, the jackets I had fit well.....can't remember what brand they were though. :-/

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

F@ck you alllllllll! :D

Custom jacket is your answer.

track wagon likes this.
  11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Custom. End of story.

13. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

6'8" and almost 300lbs. The only thing I can buy off the shelf is boots, gloves and helmet. Boots are very limited in size 14 as well. For leathers, you only have two options. One, buy them really big and have them taken in. Two, buy custom. Both cost more, but that's what we have to deal with.

14. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

6' 4" same size, walking not fun but works fine on the bike.

15. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Or 6'7

16. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I buy off the shelf and deal with how short it is. Also suits stretch over time.

17. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

6'7" 250lbs...had one BB custom suit and actually had luck with a Spartan custom suit.

18. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

You should be prepared to go custom for any MC jacket/suit.

I'm 6'4" and I have a custom Langlitz for street riding,plus some textile jackets and suits. The textiles all fit a bit "off"
    Check my avatar, that's the wife in her custom Langlitz, because at 6', her arms are longer than yours.
    My son is 6'7" and 190 lbs, he found a few textiles that aren't too short. Try finding a 40 XX tall

19. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

I’m 6’ 250 (I know lol) got a 64 Dainese suit which was huge on me and got it tailored. Now the suit almost fits worse than it had originally. The pads are too big and in the wrong places now. Im going to get new measurements and send it back again but I’m not hopefull it will fit. I feel like I just flushed like $1800 down the drain. In hindsight I really should have just got a heroic or V02 custom suit made. I’m currently racing in my 2 piece alpine stars suit that fits but it’s been crashed before and doesn’t feel as safe as a one piece.

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

FYI it's not just tall peeps. It happens with anybody that has a long trunk (crotch to shoulders) and they can be well under 6 foot. I look at it this way my first custom suit fit so DAMN well I said no way would I every go back to off the rack leathers. And if you don't fit into a off the rack stuff accept it and just deal with it. There are many custom leather peeps and either coasts that can hook you up.

You owe it to yourself and your family to wear the best and most protective products you can. Yep in the initial purchase the price is a bit tough but in the long run it's less expensive. Finally what's cheaper a ambulance ride to the hospital or quality race gear?