1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BEETS RECIPE???

Discussion in 'General' started by pjzocc, Apr 1, 2018.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Yes, not just single layer but not crowded. Depending on size (and color somewhat -- I've found gold beets to cook quicker than red). If normal half-fist size, I'll quarter or half, light olive oil and sal/pimiento, bake at 375-400 for 30-40 minutes. You want some caramelization-crustiness, without overcooking. Love me some beets. Purple poop is just a bonus.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Newsshooter and pjzocc like this.
  2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Are they Himalayan beets, grown by monks who have taken a vow of silence?

3. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Cube them up and roast them in the oven at about 400°. Let them cool and drizzle them with balsamic glaze with little goat cheese and basil salt and pepper and viola... perfect

Rico888 likes this.
  4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Available at Costco. Best way to cook beets.

[​IMG]

cpettit and Jeff McKinney like this.
  5. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

They're a red fruit/vegetable type thing. They're slimy and gross as fuck.

6. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Pickled sweet,on the side with your soup beans and cornbread.

7. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

So what I ended up doing was slicing them into rounds, drizzled some balsamic, sprinkled some rosemary and thyme, diced onions, layered them and wrapped it all in foil and roasted. Took the roots, parboiled them and made my roux with the rib drippings, used that as a dipping sauce for the twice baked and broccolay. ‘Twas delightful indeed!

Thanks for the tips!

@Chaotic... dude, beets man... beets. They’re like carrots, but purple and sweet. They’re yummsy!

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

No you are 100% accurate cause I'm looking at this thread thinking "White people, smh." Might see some canned beets once in a while but ain't no black folk messing with some beets. For what?

9. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

No, they're not. They're like the spinach of the fruit world. Effin nasty. Broome don't do it!

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

How do you feel about turnip?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Asparagus turned out great. Wish I had beets too cuz stinky pee and purple poo would be cool.

Brisket was great, liking the boil in bag setup. I even used the juice from the bags to make gravy although with salt/pepper already in there it came out too salty, next time I'll mix it 50/50 with some other salt free stock. Stupid on my end since I have chicken in the fridge from last week.

pjzocc likes this.
  12. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Boil them, then make a salad with slices of cold beets, add goat cheese, walnuts, and a balsamic emulsion. Delicious !

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I was shopping yesterday and saw some beet chips in the healthfood section so I got them. They were delicious, I'd never had beets before. I'd forgotten about eating them until this mornings BM. WTF?!!! :D

Sabre699 likes this.
  15. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

By themselves, can't stand them. Never could. Then I came across a recipe that uses them in a red velvet cake and made it. Never had a red velvet cake that tasted that good.

16. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I've heard that red velvet cake was invented during WWI or II when sugar was rationed and bakers used beets for their sweetness. Can't find anything to back that up though.

17. Step 1 - open trash can step 2 - deposit beets step 3 - discard trash can

Funkm05 likes this.
  18. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

This. Only time I’ve ever had beets, I could only compare them to what I would imagine dirt tastes like. I’d have to have a few brews in me to even consider trying them again. :Puke:

19. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Heathen!!! :p

20. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Beets were used as a substitute for wartime rationed sugar, but red velvet cake predates that.