1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bedding new Rotors old Pads

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kam, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Kam

Kam Well-Known Member

Did a search and found allot of examples of new pads old rotors but I’m looking for the opposite.

I purchased a new front wheel/rotors for my sv w/ used 06 GSXR 600 front end. The stock pads remain in the calipers in aparently good shape.
    Is it ok to use these? I went for a quick ride in the neighborhood and it seemed like the pads were not making great contact w/ rotors.

Would you guys recommend going w/ new pads? Or will these bed in ok once I take a few easy laps at speed?

2. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

I'm in the same boat, exactly. Gonna throw on my new rotors and keep the stock pads in there for now. I do have a new set of Ferodo XRACs ready to go but I'm thinking of saving them for when I convert the bike back to track duty.

Interested to hear what the folks have to say.

3. Matthias Schaub

Matthias Schaub Spiegler guy

With new rotors ALWAYS use new pads!

4. dmb367

dmb367 Custom User Title A

get new pads, for sure

5. old and busted

old and busted Well-Known Member

Get some new pads Ebenizer.

6. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

Bah, I've used old pads new rotors and vice versa and never noticed a thing, except old pads and new rotors take a few cycles to seat.

7. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Usually the warm-up/sighting lap is all you need to bed in pads to new rotors, or vice versa. The exceptions are if the previous pads were not compatible with the new pads (or if incompatible pads were used on the rotors you're installing).