1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bedding new EBC pads

Discussion in 'General' started by Nytrozula, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

You mean Livengood?

Gorilla George and Steeltoe like this.
  2. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

That was not for performance. It was just because he could not stand the thought of something not being symmetrical...:D

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

I think rotor drag would most likely be caused by the calipers,or warped rotors.

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I agree about the GPFAX pads, been using them for yrs, except for how they wear, which isn't very long.

I get about 2 wknds out of them on the RSV4. In trackday time, that's about 8-10, 15-20 min sessions. ( I take other bikes that see track time too).

5. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

That can do it too but it was definitely the pads. Swapped back to dual carbons and they had 5% of the drag of the ebc pads.

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i don't have any brake dragging issues, but we also clean the caliper pistons every weekend... which in most cases, is the issue with brake dragging. NOT the pads. Roadracing world just had an article about this. If my PADS were the issue, i wouldn't run EBC pads, even if i get em free.

As far as pad life goes, multiple weekends, and i'm usually giving half worn sets away to other riders. Your mileage may vary...

exactly.

7. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yeah everything was clean and all that but this was the older race pad they had so I was hoping they fixed that. Their street HH pads are pretty bad about drag too but I was blow away how bad these were. No worries either way, just curious. I sell most of the race pads to dealers so just looking for feedback since I only play in the dirt these days so I don’t get to try the new stuff anymore.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I don't care what pad it is, thats insanely short brake pad life. F'ing fast people.......

9. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

New pads take awhile to break in to the rotors, if the rotor is not new, maybe that's what you experienced.

10. MELK-MAN

Thats simply not true in all cases.. if rotors are old as fuk and dished, then yea, only the inner and outer edges of the pad will mate at first resulting in very weak brakestoll pads conform in shape to the amount of dishing. But if rotors are decent, youncan bed in a set of ebc epfa or gpfa pads on a WARM UP lap. I do it with some regularity.

Now... the OLD hh pads required careful bed in process. It was horrible. Not taking time in pits doing 30 or so easy stops, then 30 harder stops, then let rotors cool, repeat.. the pads would glaze. No power. Had to pull pads out, and scuff them up doing figure 8s on sandpaper to get glaze off. Westby racing suggested scuffing pads each day or so, does it right on the flat concrete floor. Not bad idea as standard bike prep.

gixxerboy55 likes this.
  11. Yep. Best of both worlds. :)

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Nytrozula, take Greg's advice. I run "mid pack advanced" also on an older R6 and previously had the exact same results as you with EBC HH pads. I switched to Vesrah RJL XX pads and they have too much bite for me. Initial bite is insane and take virtually no lever pressure. At least they have zero fade. I had a hard time adjusting and plan on swapping out to the EBC EPFA for the next time out.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. Nytrozula

Nytrozula Well-Known Member

So I went with the EPFA as suggested and was completely satisfied with the performance of the pad. Very good initial bite and experienced no fade when teh brakes heated up later in the session like I experienced with the HH. I bought a set or $70 on Amazon! I really can't ask for anymore out of a pad .....at least for now:D

gixxerboy55 likes this.
  14. MELK-MAN

$70 for 2 cards (full set for a sport bike) is outstanding for the EPFA pads. Literally half of what they normally sell for ! Glad ya posted up with some feedback too.

15. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Indeed!

I'm paying $150 for 2 cards for my bike - dayum...

16. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

For best results I suggest cleaning the discs very well. No chemicals!
    Use an orbital sander with 220 or more aggressive grit. Sand off the old pad material buildup on the discs. Both sides of each disc. You likely will go through a lot of sanding discs (or scotch brite pads).
    Then bed pads in correctly. Light braking and never use brake and gas at same time. Then gradually more brake force until you get build up of new pad material on disc. Cooling between light break in runs is optimal.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  17. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

Ha ha freaking hilarious!! Lol

MELK-MAN likes this.