1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery backup for well pump

Discussion in 'General' started by kenessex, Jun 10, 2018.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I have natural gas, so if the power goes out, I can still cook. The problem is that with the power out I don't have any water since I have a well. I was thinking about having a battery backup just for the well pump. Our power usually isn't out for very long and don't really want to go to a big generator back up, for the whole house.

What would I need for a battery back up and how would I get that connected to the well pump. Right now it is wired straight into the breaker box. I don't need anything automatic, since if I'm not home, I don't care about the water and if I am home, I can flip a breaker and a switch.

What would this cost?
    Should I really forget this and go for a generator?

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Problem solved.
    4402A2B4-A18D-431E-B4C9-E2D633803419.jpeg ved.

Sabre699 and dtalbott like this.
  3. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

2k watt Honda or similar and add a plug and outlet to the well pump wire. Then you can run your well pump, your refrigerator and have food that's safe to cook.

Chris and baconologist like this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seems like you'd need an inverter and a charger and a switch - basically an rv setup. I'd go small genset like beechking said.

5. If you want dedicated, ie leave it just for the well, emergencies get a cheap HF genset (you just want water, you are not at the track) and hook it up with a box and switch. Be sure you are not back feeding the line!!!! You may just want to look into a cheap bigger genie and adding a box to your main outlet.

6. No you wouldn’t, you’d just steal someone else’s water :)

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Pumping water takes some real power...make sure you get enough amp-hours to do the job. I'd go generator, but then I have 3 so there's that.....A EU2000 isn't gonna cut pump/refrig/plus other stuff. I use a 5KW generator and still rotate between loads. 3 refrigerators, the pump, the furnace fan. I use the EU2000 for computer and or TV if it's going to be a long outage.

8. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Most well pumps are 240v so most cheap generators aren' gonna cut it.

BrianC636 likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Up there I'd go way overboard with a big diesel genset to power everything :D

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Up there the diesel turns to gel without heat (power) :D

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Natural gas generator.

dobr24 likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Winter blend, easy peasy.

13. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

How much solar production in the land of the midnight sun...in winter?

15. I had a natural gas one in Mi, that thing was awesome.

16. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

This is for our house in WI, not AK. I have the AK house all dialed in for when the power and water goes out, plus it is an city water.
    I think my well pump is 110V not 240V, but I don't know that. It uses a single breaker in the regular panel.
    If I add a plug and an outlet, can I just throw the breaker and plug in either a generator or from an inverter and avoid backfeeding the rest of the house?

17. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

My well pump is 110 and I have a plug on it. I have run the pump, fridge, tv and cell phone charger with the eu2000 before. Sounds like a lot but I have done it during more than one outage without issue. Keep in mind the pump isn’t running constantly. Only when using water

18. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

If it has the pressure accumulator not even that much....i know i can have the tap on for a few minutes of running before the pump will turn on for 30 seconds or so to build pressure back up.

busa99 likes this.
  19. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I would just put a normal outlet on the wire for the well pump some where near the breaker panel and put a normal plug on the wire so you can unplug the well pump and connect it to an extension cord. I did the same for our gas furnace and it works great. No need to worry about back feeding anything since you're breaking the line.

baconologist likes this.
  20. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Most pumps can be wired for 110 or 220. If yours is 220 you should be able to wire a pigtail to the pressure switch for 110. You just have to make sure you don't back feed