1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basement Wall Waterproofing Paints?

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If it's leaking and you want to live in that area it seems like it's time to call the guys with backhoes and start digging and sealing.

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

It can be a pretty major expense to do it on the exterior also. Worst case scenarios, your digging down to the footer around the entire basement portion of the foundation. Which normally entails removing a/c units, decks, patios, landscaping and various other items people put on the outside of their houses. Not to mention the mess.
    This is normally more so for block, since its more porous than poured concrete. They do have some pretty decent systems to channel the water away to a sump pump once it breaches the interior surface, and just discharge it a distance away from the house. With poured walls, they have some cool polyurethane sealer that they push in under pressure, from the inside, that works really well, but you're normally dealing with a single crack.

3. In my Tennessee house, there was a corner in the upper garage that had a pernicious water intrusion problem. I tried waterproofing the interior wall, but the water just lifted the paint off. Had the footer dug out and resealed, no change. Installed a sump pump, which helped, but didn’t solve the problem. Landscaper installed a french drain, but it didn’t help. He suggested a major regrade of the yard to try to redirect the water flow, which would have ruined the look of the front yard.

One day I had a roofer out to replace some storm damaged shingles, and he said, „I noticed your gutters were installed wrong.“ He reinstalled them on that side of the house, and the water intrusion problem completely disappeared.

4. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

You are not waterproof ing the basement. You are sealing out the humidity.

Waterproofing needs to be done from the exterior.

Make sure the downspouts are doing there job.

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Negative grade is worse than bad downspouts.

6. YZROOSTINYA

While grading is key, half the time the gutters are clogged and downspouts aren’t hooked up. It rains and pours down foundation wall.

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

If the grade is correct, most of that water will roll away from the house.

8. YZROOSTINYA

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yea.....that could use a little grading out!