1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baseboard molding repair

Discussion in 'General' started by worthless, Jan 3, 2018.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

For PG materials, we use Bondo on MDF. Dont use "wood fillers" or other odd "filling" compounds that you find at walmart.......it likely wont last and will fall out.

joec likes this.
  2. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Don't have any 'before' pictures. 2 coats of DryDex on it so far. Coming along well. Will need at least 1 more coat.
    Chair in front is immenent.

G2G and BigBird like this.
  3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

So..... you ended up using the same (wrong) crap that you guesstimated would work in the first place. Why come here and ask? If only to let us know you're a dummy....that ship has sailed.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. britx303

With bondo you could have filled it once and sanded to the profile and be done by now.

Rico888 likes this.
  5. worthless

Holy ballz...I have to listen to the wife call me a dummy for the shit that I did that got me into this mess and now I gotta come here and get the same beating? FML.
    I've used bondo body filler on car and bike stuff before and I'm not real good at it judging from the amount of sanding I had to do and looking at the finished product. If this was in my garage and I could use power tools to finish it, it would be a different story. It's in my living room and spackling is a helluva lot easier to work with and a helluva lot less easier to clean up than bondo body filler. Someone else had suggested DryDex prior to coming here and, after looking at the suggestions made here, it seemed to be an OK option. I'm not looking to win any architectural digest awards for my work, just trying to make it look less shitty.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. worthless

If I was good with bondo, you're probably right. I'm not. I realize it ain't rocket surgery, but, it's already been well documented that I'm a dummy.

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Beatings will continue until morale improves

badmoon692008 likes this.
  8. britx303

Just ignore the dummy comment. For future reference,with bondo you can take a chisel and cut/slice away most of the build up after appx 5 minutes. This will really reduce the amount of sanding needed to finish it off. Even less sanding/dust than dryedx or similar.It is what it is at this point,just finish it up with what you have on hand and paint it. Yeah,might not be the best thing for it.....but it aint the end of the world.

BigBird likes this.
  9. If you didn't want a beating, why did you come here? :dead:

BigBird likes this.
  10. worthless

Because I'm an idtio.

I'm with Stupid likes this.
  11. worthless

Then I'm fukd

12. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Since youve already attached the problem this is moot, but a wood filler would have worked, stronger than drydex still shapable sandable and such.

13. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Yep....pretty much so...

Formula 27 works better than bondo...easier to sand and shape...

First used it when working on a yacht interior....won't use anything else now...

If you don't catch bondo quick enough it gets a little hard to sand...

14. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

I just had some pro painters paint my whole house. They used bondo on all the door casings, baseboard and crown. There are no seams anywhere and with the lacquer paint it’s like glass it’s so smooth. The smell would kill you but but the finish is amazing!

I vote for bond and putty, share and sand.

15. joec

joec brace yourself

Fuck that. Poplar for pg at a minimum. Soft maple is better.

If you want to keep the mdf, Bondo sand back, spot prime, then paint.