1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bald Eagles everywhere

Discussion in 'General' started by gapman789, Apr 26, 2020.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I saw a bald eagle in south central Indiana at Lake Monroe about 25 years ago....Haven't seen one since in the wild, where I've lived most of my adult life here in SW Ohio, N Kentucky, SE Indiana area.

In the past 2 wks, I've seen 4 in SW Ohio in a 35 mile radius. One was cruising above while working near the Ohio River....Saw another one where the Little Miami River comes into the Ohio River.....1 flying alongside me at the Great Miami River in Butler County Ohio. And today, there is a nest about 3 miles away along Indian Creek in Butler County. 1 of the pair was perched above the 10' nest in a tall Sycamore. Man these things look like they're 6' tall in the trees.

I just thought it was cool as shit seeing them in the wild for the lst time since i've lived in SW Ohio for 32 yrs. Google says Ohio has 164 pairs of eagles....who knew.

eagle2.jpg eagle3.jpg

eagle1.jpg

SpeedyE and Newyork like this.
  2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Saw 2 at Caesars Creek on Friday, and there's a resident right around Lake Lorelei.

3. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

They are apparently all over here around the lake. Have never seen one.

Had a friend of a friend who bought a lake lot....paid like 300K for the land alone. Was planning to build a multimillion dollar home on it. Builder was clearing the land and had to stop when they found Eagle nest in 3 of the pine trees. Dude was PISSED after spending that much on a lot and couldn't build on it until SCDNR verified if the nest were active or old. Minimum 1 year time frame.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You ever get up into NE PA take a ride along 209 from Stroudsburg up in to 97 in NY. Along the Delaware, they really seem to be coming back in force, this is all national park land with almost no people.

Lackawaxen into Hawley PA and up to Lake wallenpaupack, tougher to see but they are in there and over to the Delaware. A lot of undeveloped land.

Talk of Osprey and Golden Eagles as well.

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

We have Golden Eagles in the Wabash/Embarras river valley here. Nesting pair of Bald Eagles about 2 miles from our house.

Agreed it’s pretty cool.

EDIT - Golden Eagles are HUGE! :D

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Sweatypants likes this.
  6. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Last spring we were on a fishing trip in Algoma country Ontario and saw one flying along the shore line, we thought we were hallucinating which may have been a possibility at the time :D, but confirmed with the lodge there was a nest around there.

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Had been hearing from various people that there was a few around here for several months, finally saw one. Flew by the kitchen window as I was standing at the sink after lunch, wasn't more than 50 ft. from the house and maybe 20 ft. off the ground, Thought it was cool as hell, haven't seen it again.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

We are getting Hawks and an occasional claim of eagles in my area here in VA. It was just canadian geeses, vultures, a f@ckton of crows and tweety birds.

Still a lot of undeveloped land here but really, urban sprawl, Million dollar clone homes and gooberment workers heading into DC.

For you deer hunters, there are a bunch of serious trophy rack bucks living in the marsh lands. 14 point almost 200 lb monster is the leader but I haven't seen them in awhile since they cut down the apple trees.

9. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

They're all over where I live in Iowa. My house is about three miles from a river. Last summer the river bottom was flooded unusually late into the summer. Get up one morning and there's an eagle perched in a tree in my front yard. The squirrels and little birds that are normally doing their thing that time of the morning were no where to be found. Took a bad picture out of the bay window in my living room. Tried to real quietly open the front door for a better shot. Soon as the knob moved, he gone. Adolescent, probably 4ft wingspan.

10. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

This is awesome! Ive seen two this year. First at the dock where my cousin keeps his boat and then another at Jones Beach....I love bald eagles. I also see this one all the time.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

We’ve got tons of them here in WI. Saw 3 just this morning while taking the boat for a cruise down the river.

Newyork likes this.
  12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Damn flying rats.
    Need to bring back DDT.

They are nothing compared to the majestic Turkey.

:D

13. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Been all over Western NY for almost 15 years now. Started out around lakes and rivers and now are just everywhere, to the point where seeing them is just routine. Can't make up my mind if that is a good or bad things. Certainly has taken some of the mystic and allure away from them.

14. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Got a number of them in the area around my place in southern Ontario. Probably seen 6 in the last year.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Those are Pigeons, Dipshit. :D and if they can live through mid 70s NYC, DDT ain't gonna do shit to them.

16. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Speaking of turkeys, I've seen more of them in the last 4 weeks (up close, < 30') than I ever have. Twelve in the lot next to the bank and 3 in Mom's front yard.

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

There's deer all over my neighborhood, but they were there before the pandemic so nothing new. Also get wild turkey from time to time. Fortunately that means they'll be no shortage of food around here :D

18. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

I just remembered that I almost smashed a turkey yesterday coasting through the twisties in South Hampton...he was gobbling across the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Dear can hear an apple hit the ground like a dog hears the plastic peel off American cheese.

20. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

And like a cat can hear a can opener.