1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backpacking 3 person tent direction

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, May 13, 2020.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Thinking of doing some sea kayak adventure trips around the Great Lakes islands. I checked with some sea kayaking forums, the brands they recommended were Marmot Limelight, MSR Pappa Hubba Bubba, MSR Mutha Hubba Bubba, with Hilleberg being the Cadillac of adventure camping (At $1100 for entry-level Hilleberg's, it better be).

I liked the Marmot Limelight because of the taller "wall sections" prior to curving to the top give a bit more shoulder room, silent zipper pulls and color-coded clips and posts.

I know some of you do adventure tour riding. Just thought I would tap into this database too for any recommendations. Looking for something that packs up reasonably small, durable and a 3 person, because I like my room and I know their 3 person guide is actually good for one person.

2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Alps
    A little heavier than the gram counters like but about 20% of the cost!

wiggeywackyo and DrA5 like this.
  3. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I had a 3 person north face tent that was wicked light. Nowhere near the price of $1100 and lasted several trips even with the dog sleeping in it with us. I wouldn’t go baller on my first tent, just something light and decently made.

4. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

We got an REI Quarter Dome 3 for our AT hike. Made it the whole way and still going...

5. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I have a Eureka Tetragon 3 that is pretty solid for the $100 or so that it costs. It is under 7lbs and offers pretty good rain protection, it doesnt come with a bumper sticker for a subaru or a patagonia hat but it has treated me well.

6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Look at Big Agnes and Moutain Hardware as well. Tent tech has changed a lot since I used to carry a 9# 4-season dome.

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My son is a tent beta tester so I know enough to be dangerous. I currently have an MSR, Big Agnes, Sierra Designs and had an ALPS Mountaineering. They're all nice tents and I can't say one is better than the next. Tents have come a long way.

Wingnut likes this.
  8. bugeye

bugeye Well-Known Member

9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

A tent beta tester? Who knew such a thing existed. :D

10. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

I've used and been in Eureka, Big Agnes, Marmot, Colemans. The answer is always Mountain Hardwear.

DrA5 likes this.
  11. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

REI anniversary sale starts Fri and goes through Mem Day weekend. Some tents on sale, and 20% off coupon for one full price item for members, no cost to join.

Don't pay for light weight if you ain't gonna be hauling it on your back.

Or get a hammock. I will never sleep in a tent again.

12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I was just going to suggest the hammock. My moto friends swear by it, and I was just researching for myself. Make sure to pack a liner or sleeping pad for insulation as I have been informed that it can get cold in a hammock.

13. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I love my Hubba Hubba. Light, ez to setup, packs small, and vents well with the vents open. Its plenty of room for me and my SO, though we are skinny people. MSRs warranty/repair dept is great too. I destroyed parts of it in 60mph winds and paid very little to get it repaired.

a 3-person tent is not good for 1 person in cold. the extra air space makes the tent freezing cold. with modern shoulder room and 2 vestibules, a 2-person tent should be more than enough room for 1 person.

14. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

REI is anti motorized travel in the back country. they give tons of money to groups and lobbyists, to fight motorcycle, atv, utv, snowmobiling, on PUBLIC LANDS. dont buy a thing from them, if you can help it. Ski

15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Technically he's a purchasing agent for a high end internet outdoors company so all of the manufacturers send him stuff to try out.

16. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

So, he knows Mike Baxter? :D

DrA5 likes this.
  17. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Pad or under quilt, but you can do without if low is 70-75 degrees +, unless there is wind.

Sleeping in a hammock also makes me have to pee more, but small price to pay for outdoor comfort.

18. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I did about 12 nights last year backpacking and my 14 and I are doing various trails in Utah and Colorado this coming June 2-16. I've had Big Agnes, MT hardware, Kelty, Etc.. they're all great. This trip were taking a REI half dome one. I'll give a review and pics when were done.

19. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

This is a very complex topic. Check out the Dungeon. I'm curious to see what people's thoughts are on this having spent a lot of time out West.

Edit: Nevermind, there is no dungeon.

20. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

Also, another for Alps unless you are carrying it.