1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Background checks, who to use?

Discussion in 'General' started by shaugdog, Nov 16, 2012.

1. shaugdog

shaugdog Pimpalicious

In the middle of a start-up, and like the title states, I need an inclusive background check performed for a potential investor. Anyone used a service and been pleased? Thanks in advance.

2. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Someone wants to give you money and your looking for reasons not to take it? :confused: Send them my way, I'll take it.

3. Vstate60

Vstate60 Jaspon&Armas, PA

Go to your local Sheriff's Office...where I'm a deputy it costs about $10. It's a local state look up and also an NCIC history. So you can find out everything they've done legally speaking, unless your state has first-offender laws you may miss something (first time misdemeanors is all, excluding DUI). Anything further than that, I'd hire a private detective.

4. YellowRacer

YellowRacer I can pass this guy...

Or... You can do it online... for FREE!

Every County in the USA has a website you can visit and type peoples name in. It'll give you every person whom as the name, but it also shows birth date. The people that advertise online is so dumb, it's a scam.

5. The beeb.

Simply give us their name. Somebody on here will tell you if he is a stand-up guy who corners low. :D

6. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Backtrackreports.com

7. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

What info are you looking for? To get an all inclusive report, which is what I use for highly compensated employees or most specifically finance positions, use Lexus nexus or a.comparable company that also includes their credit report.

8. Somebody wants to run my credit as part of a job application, they will kindly be told to fuck off.

9. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Ahmmm, re-read the post. Mostly for highly compensated finance positions....If you're interviewing to handle the multi-million dollar finances of my organization, I damn sure better be confident that my executive finance people know how to manage their personal credit and finances before I turn them loose with my check book.

Furthermore, credit checks are becoming more and more standard on job interviews above entry level BS jobs.

With that attitude, I hope you aren't looking for a new job anytime soon.

10. Funny you should mention that, I actually am looking for a new job...and have had tons of different offers. I have spoken to several of them regarding the hiring requirements and not a single one even mentioned a credit check.

Everybody has their own definition of "highly compensated", but the offers i have gotten have been pretty damn good and they do not require a credit check. Two years ago when i hired on with my current employer, they didn't require a credit check either.

I handle finances and budgets all the time. A single project can cost tens of millions of dollars. While my job title doesn't include "finance", i can assure you that i neither hold nor am receiving offers for some "entry level BS job". And not once in my years of doing this, with more than 1 company, has a credit check been performed. That is filed under "none of your damn business".

11. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Damn skippy there straight, if it's good enough for the oilfield, it should be good enough for Wall street!

David

12. :clap:

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

As usual, Chris you're mincing your words...:crackup:

14. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The credit check is standard practice. It is primarily used to identify individuals who are more likely to steal.

A project manager overseeing an oil rig and its payroll is certainly worth a pat on the back. A CFO or a VP of Finance is the Guy reporting your info to investors and the IRS. A bit different circumstances.

Frankly I don't care if your 650 or 790. I'm more concerned about back taxes and a metric ton of lawsuits.

15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

If your credit is shitty, you lack basic discipline and decision making skills.

You get bills, you pay bills. It ain't rocket science. Don't get bills you can't afford.

Sorry to be so blunt about it.

To an employer, I say go ahead and run my credit score.

It's one more way to seperate fuck-ups from non fuck-ups.

Similiar to drug tests.

16. Marc Camp

Marc Camp Well-Known Member

I have to disagree.I have bad credit.I've only worked 2 jobs.6yrs in textiles and 16yrs as a lineman.I haven't missed a day of work in 10yrs.So your saying i'm a fuckup?All credit is good for is allowing you to buy something you can't afford.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  17. ^ that is the another reason. While my main reason is because it is simply none of their damn business, the other reason is because there are way too many variables that go into a credit score...some of which that can be (somewhat) out of your control.

I actually agree with the reasoning about how it can be useful (back taxes/lawsuits), i just feel like it is getting into my personal business...which is none of their business.

I have good credit; but that is irrelevant. It wouldnt matter if i was 580 or 780, it still isnt any of their damn business. If you want to perform a background check, go for it. I actually just sent in the Police Clearance Request Form into TBI because a potential employer requires it (in TN, you cant just go to up to the Police/Sheriff and get a background check like i could in MS, you have to mail a form to TBI...with $45 :rolleyes:).

You can get a background check, call references/previous employers, etc. There are plenty of ways to find out if somebody is a POS other than checking their personal credit.

18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

If you want to get into my business...ie hire on....then I'm gonna get into your "business". Hiring mistakes can be very costly, not only in time wasted but law suits, etc.

19. Once again, there are many ways to make sure somebody is not a POS other than getting into their personal finances.

I wonder who originally came up with the idea, "you want to work for me, then i need to see your personal finances". Some people's sense of entitlement is ridiculous. Why don't you just ask for their personal cell phone records so you can make sure they don't call anybody shady? How about asking for a 6-month record of internet usage/websites visited on their home computer? How about asking them to put a tracking device on their personal vehicle?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012