1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

back to "rigid" - BMW files patent for carbon swingarm-frame

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Aug 10, 2020.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Seems like y'all don't read. The flex is built into it, supplemented by a spring and damper. Not my cup of tea.
    They should go MotoGP if they wanna play with chassis design.

As a side, I'd like to see Honda play with a sportbike version of the GoldWing's front end.

sdg and OGs750 like this.
  2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I wish BMW would go to Motogp. Seems they get a bunch of cheap Motogp advertising with the safety car stuff without having to put a bunch of bikes on the grid. The Engineer in me just really wants to see another manufacturer with different ideas out there (why I like KTM). I love me some head scratching German engineering lol

Tuned carbon suspension points have been in F1 and other motorsports for a while, so it's not a completely off the wall idea, but it will be interesting to see in in practice like this on a motorcycle if it ever gets off the drawing board.

Hoffman900 and badmoon692008 like this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

yeah, some knowledge from BMW's F1 years would give them a head start.

but i've read somewhere that the german number ckeckers didn't see the ROI in MGP

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Let them go out there and, when they win, then they can cry about not having anything to learn.

5. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I remember reading something about that too. They get enough ROI from the safety car stuff in motogp without ever having to put a bike on the grid.

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Maybe they can be clever and figure out how to make suspension travel subscription based as well.

Knotcher likes this.